• 1 Post By boo-key bear
  • 3 Post By brfatal
  • 1 Post By Fidrat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-15-2014, 10:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Tcbparrish is an unknown
Turbo Upgrade.... Please Help

i am new to this website and i just got my first 2002 subaru wrx 2 days ago, it has stock turbo but i want to upgrade to stage 2 but i want to know ever part i will need to make it work without blowing anything up, and the prices on average it will be to get it done, i can go to a car garage to get it all put in for free so dont add that into the total to get it all done the mods i have on it right now are below
1. Stock td04 turbo (like i have said)
2. stock blowoff valve
3. stock intercooler
4. 3" turbo-back exhaust/perrin catted
5. downpipe/greddy catback
6. AEM cold air intake with K&N high flow filter
7. Stage 2 93oct tune off cobb accessport @ 16psi
8. rotora big brake kit 4 and 2 piston calipers with slotted/drilled roters
9. short shift kit
10. ISC N1 coilovers
so what will i need so i can run stage 2 turbo and thanks for the answers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-15-2014, 11:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
What kind of mileage and what are your goals?
#3 Old 02-15-2014, 11:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

Tcbparrish is an unknown
@brfatal - it has 121k on it with 285hp at the crank, i want to make it go fast idk just have a nice ass car with a stage 2 turbo for now, maybe stage 4 later down the road
#4 Old 02-16-2014, 12:27 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I didn't know they were naming turbos stage x now. What marketing schemes Will they think of next.

For a turbo upgrade you Will need the following.

Turbo: price depends on turbo.
Intercooler: depends also. Fmic or tmic? Roughly $400-1000.
Fuel pump:$100
Injectors: about $550
Tune: about $500

You have only had it 2 days and already ready to go this big? Is it up to date on service? You would need to talk to a tuner and not us to decide exactly what parts Will work for what your goal is and what they recommend cause in the end they Will be the one that's gonna make it work.
Fidrat likes this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#5 Old 02-16-2014, 12:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcbparrish View Post
@brfatal - it has 121k on it with 285hp at the crank, i want to make it go fast idk just have a nice ass car with a stage 2 turbo for now, maybe stage 4 later down the road
285 is an arbitrary number since crank numbers not from auto makers are mostly made up. It's about 230 whp. Stage 2 and stage 4 turbos don't exist. This isn't Gran Turismo. What specifically did you have in mind for a setup or power wise?
#6 Old 02-16-2014, 12:39 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
You already have a stage 2 set-up.

Stage2=downpipe and tune.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#7 Old 02-16-2014, 04:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
1. What is a stage 2 turbo?
2. Stock BOV? KEEP IT!!!
3. Stock intercooler? Stick with a top mount. Go bigger and used if you can. Front mount can be a lag monster.
4.& 5. That will be fine.
6. Waste of money at this point and a good sign the previous owner didn't know Jack Squat! This should have been a last mod on the way to 400 hp. Not a 1st mod to hit 230WHP. As long as you tune for it it can't hurt. A good coat of wax will give you more ponies than that thing.
7. Get a real tune. Open source is the best bet. I wish I could find 93 oct. 91 is all I can find. If it is going to be a daily driver I'd go with a tune that uses the highest best available oct.
8. Unless you track it this is for show.
9. Kartboy RULES!!! Anything less is for fools.
10. Sways and end-links would have been money better spent.

My advice to you is get this engine checked out first. Blackstone oil analysis and a compression check come to mind. I see a few red flags here. Take your time. Do LOTS of research and keep in mind ,this car has been out for a long time. We know what works by now.

And give us some pics! Bugeyes RULE!!!

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#8 Old 02-16-2014, 11:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

Tcbparrish is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidrat View Post
1. What is a stage 2 turbo?
2. Stock BOV? KEEP IT!!!
3. Stock intercooler? Stick with a top mount. Go bigger and used if you can. Front mount can be a lag monster.
4.& 5. That will be fine.
6. Waste of money at this point and a good sign the previous owner didn't know Jack Squat! This should have been a last mod on the way to 400 hp. Not a 1st mod to hit 230WHP. As long as you tune for it it can't hurt. A good coat of wax will give you more ponies than that thing.
7. Get a real tune. Open source is the best bet. I wish I could find 93 oct. 91 is all I can find. If it is going to be a daily driver I'd go with a tune that uses the highest best available oct.
8. Unless you track it this is for show.
9. Kartboy RULES!!! Anything less is for fools.
10. Sways and end-links would have been money better spent.

My advice to you is get this engine checked out first. Blackstone oil analysis and a compression check come to mind. I see a few red flags here. Take your time. Do LOTS of research and keep in mind ,this car has been out for a long time. We know what works by now.

And give us some pics! Bugeyes RULE!!!
you and everyone else can go to instagram and follow me and see the pictures of it @DAK otah2121
#9 Old 02-16-2014, 02:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcbparrish View Post
you and everyone else can go to instagram and follow me and see the pictures of it @DAK otah2121
I'm 48 years old. What the heck is instagram? Googling instagram now. Oh,I see It's one of those smart phone things. Well I don't have a smart phone. I guess I'll just go eat worms.
man show likes this.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.