turbo turbo which turbo? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 08-25-2005, 08:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

horriblesars is an unknown
from what i kw, the td05 20G can be tuned to a high 200whp, but the torque definately pack a punch!

i have another question, does the vf22 power drops at high rpm levels or is it a very linear power producing turbo where the power keeps increasing at high rpm levels? or all this greatly depends on tune?

i have worries about ecu tuning, coz i've heard alot of WRXers blown their engines due to tuning, which i am quite certain i will not tune my ride unless necessary...but then again if i were to put a vf22 into my ride, i need to change the injectors and fuel pump as well, then i will have to go for ecu tuning rite?

will anyting bad happen if i were to add these mods without tuning?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 08-25-2005, 08:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

hondaeater is more helpful than not
a 20g is worth more than high 300WHP (with proper tuning of course). Any of the IHI turbos can get into the mid to high 200 WHP range. IMO like /\ said, the 20g is just too big a turbo for a stock rex in us fashion.

IHI turbos do NOT like high boost at high RPM's, they like to be tapered from 6K on. They will let go if pushed to high boost/high boost at high RPM. IHI turbos aren't spectacular turbos, they're middle of the road turbos for middle of the road duckets. Keep in mind subaru chose this turbo as OEM for many of it's cars, so it's by no means cheap, but by no means the best you can buy either.

And please do your homework on Tuning and EMS's. Tuning is a VERY important part of keeping these cars alive. Detonation kills turbo charged cars in short order. There are now tools out to tap the stock ECU and use it's power for the benefit of mankind. I would suggest looking into ECUtek and CObb Protuning. Custom tuning is needed, just say no to generic maps. The stock ECU is both very powerful, and very forgiving (meaning it will let you mess up without going BOOM, within reason of course). HTH.
#18 Old 08-26-2005, 01:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

horriblesars is an unknown
thks for the info, will bear what u said in mind, i kw the fact without tuning, the turbo cannot maximise its full potential.