turbo turbo which turbo? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 08-22-2005, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

horriblesars is an unknown
Smile turbo turbo which turbo?

hi fellow wrxers,

im driving a MY05 225 rex, may i kw which turbo is the biggest (produces most WHP) where a stock internal engine with stock fuel pump and stock injectors and tranny can take? i would like to change to the biggest turbo which is still safe for my engine..if there is any.

if i change to a TD05 20G turbo, do i have to change the internals? fuel pump and injectors? will the gearbox break? how many whp am i looking at with this turbo?

does stock rex comes wif 255/hr fuel pump? 555 injectors? forged piston and con rods?
any better 5 speeder gear box that can take up to 400bhp ?

knowledge is power, pls share.. thks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-22-2005, 09:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

dopekidz is an unknown
pretty much your better off just goin with any vf turbo...i.e. vf22, vf34, etc...those don't produce dramatic numbers but they do produce enough power so u won't have to worry about beefing up your engine's internals...for the fuel system, most people go with the sti pink injectors, which are i believe 565cc...the fuel pump, walbro seems to be the pump of choice which is a 255l/ph...also, if u are goin to go with a bigger turbo and injectors, u might want to think about upgrading your fuel rail as well...and last the tranny, u can upgrade the tranny with alot of options...1. u can just basically beef up the gearset with an sti type-RA, or kaaz hardened gearset...the cost of those is pretty descent...2. u could decide to go with a sychroless dog box...one company that has a pretty good set-up is ppg(u could go to gearboxtech.com to look them up) they have a vast number of set-ups that would cater to your personal needs and driving style...3. u could go all out and upgrade to an sti 6-speed...the cost for this ranges from about 6 to 7 thousand...and there would have to be some alterations that would need to be done...driveshaft, axles, etc...hope this information helps out a little bit but i know there are other members on here that know way more than me
post #3 of 18 Old 08-22-2005, 09:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

knot04 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to knot04
the most i would run on factory internals would be something like a PE 1820 or a large 18G. that will be enough to give you 315+ at the wheels, but you will still need to upgrade your tranny. also look into 650+ cc injectors, the STI 565's just wont cut it.
post #4 of 18 Old 08-23-2005, 03:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

hondaeater is more helpful than not
i personally wouldn't run anything bigger than a vf series turbo with stock USDM internals. think about it, subaru uses IHI turbos on it's OEM cars, but not ONE of them is all cast like the USDM wrx, they are all forged to some point (the cars that use IHI from OEM). Now talking about bigger than IHI turbo with all cast internals and not so strong tranny, you can count your engine trans life in a matter of months not years. If you plan on upgrading engine internals and trans, by all means, start with a bigger turbo.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-23-2005, 05:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

knot04 is an unknown
i see your point, but i really think that you cant "get away" with something larger than a VF22.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-23-2005, 09:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

your post is agreeing with me knot. . .
post #7 of 18 Old 08-23-2005, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

wow, thks all for sharing ## knowledge!

so in short, vf22 is the biggest a stockie 225 rex can go with all stock internals. anyting bigger will have to get better internals.

ok, if i go along for vf22, is it a direct bolt on for my rex? how many whp will i get roughly along with my turbo back exos? but with stock fuel pump and injectors? wats the maximum safe boost this setup can go?
thks guys!
post #8 of 18 Old 08-23-2005, 10:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

yes it's a direct bolt on, all IHI turbos are.

WHP will be in the high 200 range depending on gas, tune, mods, and how generous (or not so generous) the dyno is.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-24-2005, 08:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quack is more helpful than not
18g
post #10 of 18 Old 08-24-2005, 09:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

Bullit is an unknown
If you are staying with the stock fuel system. The best turbo for you is the one you have. If you are changing the turbo, then you need to change everything. Injectors, pump, EMS, exhaust, and intercooler. But the biggest safest turbo is the 18G.
post #11 of 18 Old 08-24-2005, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

great thks for the tip!

looks like im going for bigger injectors n pump n intercooler...

but i have another turbo in mind, the TD05 20G, is this a good turbo, i kw that this is not a ball-bearing turbo, so, is it true that this turbo will not spool up as fast as the vf22? judging by the 20G is this actually a bigger turbo than vf22?
post #12 of 18 Old 08-24-2005, 11:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

i know a guy that has teh 20g and he's hitting 20psi @ ~3500. i'm hitting 20psi @ ~3500 as well now. it's all in the tuning.
post #13 of 18 Old 08-25-2005, 08:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

well, considering the vf22 isn't ball bearing. . . .

the 20g (either version, 05 or 06, especially the td06) is a much bigger, more flowing turbo than the vf22, and a better designed turbo IMHO. It'll probably hit a couple hundred rpm later, but it'll damn sure hit harder.
post #14 of 18 Old 08-25-2005, 09:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

here's a pic of my 18g, VF30 (same size as a VF34) and stock turbo

post #15 of 18 Old 08-25-2005, 09:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

knot04 is an unknown
20G = WAY to big for factory anything! to realize the power a 20G has to offer you will need: a new trans, new pistons & rods, new clutch, an EMS like the UTEC Hydra or AEM, and a new intercooler.

the VF22 is in no way a bad turbo, and being as how one can be had for around $700 its also a great bang for the buck!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement