turbo rebuild - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 12-18-2007, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
turbo rebuild

So I got a used Momentum EJ5-40t (yeah, I know ) from AirDogg2599, and what do you know... it's bad. I've needed to add a few gallons of coolant in my car ever since I put it on. I told him about it, but he keeps saying it's my motor, get a compression test, etc. but I'm pretty sure it's the turbo, and I don't think he'll be willing to work with me. I don't know what's wrong with the turbo, but I've started to think about getting it rebuilt since I know no one will buy it. The only people I know of that rebuilds turbos is deadbolt, but I heard they charge $$$, and I don't even know what needs to be replaced. What should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-19-2007, 12:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

Black Night is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Black Night
how much did you pay for it....idk man i heard bad things about those turbos..
post #3 of 8 Old 12-19-2007, 12:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
What are the symptoms?

hard to diagnose without them?

is it blowing oil or coolant? it may be as simple as a crush washer got messed up or left out when installing it or the seals of the turbo could be blown...did you check for shaft play when you installed it? something may have gotten in the compressor when it was shipped? was the inlet side covered when you got it? you may have sucked something through it and destroyed the blades...thats the worst case senario though.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-19-2007, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
see the thing is... I had my friend inspect it and pick it up. it had shaft play on it, BUT my friend took it anyway because the seller said it was normal, and would seize up when oiled and hot (momentum said the same thing). I honestly don't know enough about turbos to know what it means for it to be "blown," or what shaft play indicates exactly.

there are white marks on the uppipe and downpipe, so I know the leak is coming from the turbo. I know it's not oil, because my oil level is fine but my coolant is not. I guess it's possible the leak is coming from one of the coolant lines, but there are no signs of coolant dripping from there. It's really hard to pinpoint because the coolant leaks slowly. I've tried driving the car around for a while, parking up some ramps and looking for leaks while the car is still running, but it's no use.

Apart from the shaft play and loss of coolant, there is nothing else wrong. I highly doubt any of the blades are damaged, just because I've gone WOT a few times and it drove fine.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-19-2007, 11:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

SWFL Scooby is an unknown
No shaft play is normal- sounds to me like the turbo needs a rebuild. Do you know how many miles were on it?

D-Rock
Under constant pressure
post #6 of 8 Old 12-19-2007, 11:30 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
shaft play is not normal, and by shaft play we mean in and out not up and down.

take off you DP and if there is a milky oily residue in the DP, your turbo needs rebuilt

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #7 of 8 Old 12-19-2007, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I've heard about shaft play for years, but I never understood what caused it, and why it's so bad... anyone care to enlighten me?

milky oily residue... you mean oil and coolant? last time I took off the downpipe I only noticed coolant come out. Why would that happen?

With these turbos, it's the CHRA that's supposedly crap. That's why I'm afraid that a worthwhile rebuild would actually consist of a new center housing. I was thinking about buying an oem 16g from another car and swapping the CHRA. Dumb idea?
post #8 of 8 Old 12-19-2007, 02:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

SWFL Scooby is an unknown
Your friends that said shaft play is normal mean that when the turbo is off the car, it is drained of all oil and may have slight shaft play (no more than 1mm) in and out. If you have shaft play up and down, you are risking the wheel rubbing against the housing and shooting metal chips into the motor- then kaboom. If you are going to go through the work of replacing the CHRA, you might as well replace the seals and wheel also.

D-Rock
Under constant pressure