Subaru WRX Forum banner

Is turbo lag a real concern?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  WRXtreme 
#1 ·
:confused: Has anyone out there bought a big turbo and put it on their car and then removed it to put a smaller one back on because of the lag. I noticed most questions about turbo sizing has turbo lag listed as a big negative, what i have found is that if i am below the boost threshold of my turbo i shift down a gear or 2 to where i have power, by reving the engine between shifts i can create a seemless transition into a lower gear (this has the advantage of spooling the turbo).......if you know there is 1500rpm difference between gears then rev the engine 1500rpm higher to match the lower gear to the roadspeed. so in essence if you dont mind learning to drive your car a little differently then lag is even less important and seems like it is an excuse when someone has more power than you ie. i was gonna get that gt35r but it was too laggy....pfft. the only legitimate negatives for a big turbo may come from autocross drivers, although lag isnt the problem it is the non-progressive nature of the power delivery which causes concern.
have your say, i am interested in the views of you guys stateside.
Little turbos are for lazy buggers who dont like to change gears:tease:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.