Subaru WRX Forum banner

turbo install questions

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Longshot 
#1 ·
i have a couple of questions regarding my desired setup. right now i am stage 2 with a 3inch divorced wastegate dp via cobb ap. i want 300 torque. i think the best way to get this is with a big 16g evo iii and the supporting mods (injectors, fuel pump). I also want to run an external wastegate.

now for the questions

if i used a fmic, are there big gains over a big tmic? what else do i need for a 16g, i know i need a new up-pipe. if my dp is 3 inch divor wastegate, do i need to swicth to a 4 inch bellmouth?

lastly, is this all work i can do myself, and then bring to a tuner to get tuned. how hard is the install. if i wont be able to, does anyone know how much a shop would charge to do this kind of job?

thanks

#2 ·
A shop will charge you a significant amount, but it's cheaper and more satisfying to do it yourself. Weather or not you can do it depends on how good of a mechanic you are.

A 3" should be fine.

A FMIC won't make huge gains over a big TMIC, and a FMIC is generally more laggy than a TMIC setup. It generally will run cooler though, and some extra power could be had by it, although it is more pricey.

#4 ·
in my personal humble opinion , running a external wastegate wont be overkill for a big 16G.but if you really intend to , get something around 38mm.
if you want torque and responsiveness, i would suggest sticking to 3" bellmouth , upgrade your injectors to something like the sti 550cc ,walboro 255 fuel pump,stick to a top mount but something reasonably larger than the STI( aps would be a good choice ) and get your car tuned/tuned again.
at the same time you might wish to look at transmission parts like a stronger clutch with lighten flywheel as well as small improvements like stiffer gearbox and engine mounts.
am sure you will have a very fun car by then taking out those big a@@ turbo rides on short sprints.:D

#5 ·
in my personal humble opinion , running a external wastegate wont be overkill for a big 16G.but if you really intend to , get something around 38mm.
if you want torque and responsiveness, i would suggest sticking to 3" bellmouth , upgrade your injectors to something like the sti 550cc ,walboro 255 fuel pump,stick to a top mount but something reasonably larger than the STI( aps would be a good choice ) and get your car tuned/tuned again.
I agree with the EWG, would not be overkill for a big 16G. My only input will be to get 650cc injectors instead of the STi pinks. It gives the tuner more room to play and this way your injector duty cycles aren't 95+%. The fmic will work ok with a big 16G, but will be a bit more laggy than a bigger tmic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.