turbo inlet hose w/ stock turbo P&P?? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-27-2008, 01:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

subarooster is an unknown
turbo inlet hose w/ stock turbo P&P??

ok i kno the turbo inlet hose wont make a difference on the stock turbo. but what if it is Ported and Polished?? and would a 3 inch be cool or would the regular diamater be better cuzz 3 inch might increase lag??

(by the way my friend put this on his mazda 6 n said he could hear the turbo spool like crazy. will i get the same results??)

thnx n love u all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-27-2008, 02:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
No... it still won't make much of a difference. You need to understand how turbochargers work. They're basically vacuums and air pressure-izers in one.

Let me see if I can explain... imagine taking a deep breath through a small straw. How does it compare to taking one without anything in your mouth? It's harder, right? Takes a longer time to suck in the same amount of air, right? Same goes for turbos. It doesn't really matter what the velocity of the air is in the straw/inlet hose. It's the volume that matters. That's why the best setup (for performance) is to have no inlet hose, no filter or anything at all. No straw. That's why, if you're set on getting an inlet hose, I would recommend getting a 3" one.

As for the turbo spool sound... no comment.
#3 Old 10-27-2008, 08:53 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
A turbo inlet will help spool up on even a stock turbo.The stock one is restrictive and prone to cracking.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#4 Old 10-27-2008, 05:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

ok that's fine well i think i'm gonna end up wit the perrin 3" then. even if it's not all worth it it's still probably gonna look sicc lol

anyways there wont be no fitment issues with an SPT intake will there i hope not??
#5 Old 10-27-2008, 05:43 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
There's no reason to get a 3.0" inlet if your turbo only has a 2.4" inlet... If you buy a turbo that has an 8cm inlet then go ahead and get the 3.0" but if you don't, there's no reason to go that big. it's overkill. I disagree that a small turbo will see any gains from this mod though. Larger turbos definitely (which is why they come with 8cm inlets) but not the stocker for sure.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#6 Old 10-27-2008, 05:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
No! You can't use a perrin 3" inlet. Those are only for turbos with 3" inlets. Stock is 2.4". If you get an aluminum inlet (APS or Agency power) it will be 3", but will still fit on the stock turbo with the included 3->2.4" adapter.

Btw the stock inlet has a larger inside diameter in some areas than most silicone inlets. This is why I recommend APS.
#7 Old 10-27-2008, 07:59 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Oh god. I would stay away from the APS. I understand it's a wonderful piece and all it's pluses. But it was SUCH a nightmare to install. It took longer to get that thing to to fit in then it did to install the turbo, injectors, and whatnot. And we even had the intake manifold off when we installed it! APS comes with adapters so it can fit stock or 3".

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#8 Old 10-27-2008, 08:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

I have an agency power (pretty much the same thing) and it wasn't that hard. Did you remove the power steering?
#9 Old 10-28-2008, 12:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

ya c dude that's the problem i heard installation is a bitch. is it something u could do at home?? n that's y i was leaning towards perrin i heard it's easiest to install
#10 Old 10-28-2008, 01:12 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Why are you leaning towards any of them? What's wrong with the stock one?

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#11 Old 10-28-2008, 02:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

lol i want to be totally prepared for when i swap my turbo i want to get everything ready i'm only leaving out fuel injectors, rail, n pump untill i get my turbo. The IC is also on my upgrade list too. guess i'm going wit agency power thanks for everything guys
#12 Old 10-28-2008, 03:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

The stock inlet is prone to ripping; my friend's ripped while we were installing his turbo. We were lucky I had an aftermarket one lying around.

Btw, you don't need fuel rails. Your stock ones are fine.
#13 Old 10-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Yeah, I admit we broke mine when we were installing the turbo.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#14 Old 10-29-2008, 12:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

ok cool thnx so how is the installation wit the agency power how long did it take n how difficult was it??
#15 Old 10-29-2008, 01:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

It's not that hard. I recommend you purchase some of those swivel-type extensions, they helped a lot. Take off the power steering pump. If you do that I believe you can slip the pipe on without even loosening the manifold. If not, then you will have to loosen it but you shouldn't have to take it off. It's more work, but imo it's worth it over the flimsy silicone ones..