Turbo Inlet Hose Install Tips - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-21-2007, 05:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxman420 is more helpful than not
Turbo Inlet Hose Install Tips

Hey everyone, I am going to be installing my perrin turbo inlet hose this weekend and was looking for some helpful hints. Has anyone run into problems installing this piece? Do you think it is absolutly nesscessary to remove the intake manifold? Thanks alot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
I have then on my car and you DO NOT have to remove the intake manifold. the intercooler part is fairly easy butthe one that goes from your BOV to you turbo inlet pipe is a little bit of a PITA

My turbo's fixed and a lot better =)
#3 Old 03-21-2007, 08:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

SubieZen07 is an unknown
Ian: I have one coming friday, but I have a question....do you notice any gains from it?
#4 Old 03-21-2007, 09:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Just to give you a heads up, the perrin hose doesn't have all the nipples and openings like the stock one. You'll have to figure out how to get everything connected.
#5 Old 03-22-2007, 12:38 AM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxman420 View Post
Hey everyone, I am going to be installing my perrin turbo inlet hose this weekend and was looking for some helpful hints. Has anyone run into problems installing this piece? Do you think it is absolutly nesscessary to remove the intake manifold? Thanks alot.
No the plenum doesn't have to come out, but you have to use a die grinder or a hacksaw or something to get the OEM hose out (just hack the crap out of it) The new silicone one is flexible enough to squeeze through ( let it get warm in the sun) I ran into one problem on mine, the new turbo inlet hose didn't match up quite right to the MAF hose (too large a diameter), so I took the large metal tube from the end of the inlet hose, made a clean straight cut so I could roll it in on itself, then used the metal ring from the factory hose to reinforce it. It worked out fine, with only the possibility of a tiny bit of turbulence from the ring being in there. I was redoing the UP gasket when I installed mine, so the TMIC, turbo etc. was off. That made things a lot easier, but I'm sure doing it with the turbo on the car wouldn't make much difference. A tiny swipe of marine grease helps a lot to get the hose slipped over everything. Cheers
#6 Old 03-22-2007, 10:00 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieZen07 View Post
Ian: I have one coming friday, but I have a question....do you notice any gains from it?
I noticed nothing from mine
#7 Old 03-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieZen07 View Post
nothing really, maybe a little better response if anything

My turbo's fixed and a lot better =)
#8 Old 03-22-2007, 09:36 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
I didn't notice much from mine either..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
#9 Old 03-05-2011, 04:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Hey guys I installed my IC hose kit today and was going to kill 2 birds with one stone and do the inlet hose while I had the IC off and noticed there are 4 vacuum lines and 3 connections on the Perrin inlet hose???

My friend said I could put a vacuum T on 2 hoses to fix this any one have any install tips to help with this??

Thanks.
#10 Old 03-05-2011, 04:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I also noticed a crapload of oil buildup in the OEM hoses ,I'm guessing I should get a oil catch can also.?
#11 Old 03-06-2011, 08:01 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Either a catch can or an AOS (air/oil seperator) like the Grimmspeed or Prova unit.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#12 Old 03-06-2011, 11:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

I was looking at the grimspeed AOS and think I might have to settle for the catch can for now.
I notice that some people say one can other say 2 cans?
#13 Old 06-06-2011, 07:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

slug111 is an unknown
Hello all,

I installed a VF39 and all of the supporting cast.
I noticed my stock turbo inlet was cracked from the turbo about 3 inches. so I decided to replace it. I bought an OBX turbo inlet, now what is this talk of a catch can. is it necessary, or can I just install the OBX turbo inlet, and go on my way?

also does everyone know if there are any vacuum/boost mods I need to do with the OBX. it seems to have the same number and type of connections as the stock.

And do I need to remove the intake manifold? if not any tips outside of greasing the inlet to pass under the manifold???

Input????
#14 Old 06-08-2011, 07:40 AM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
I am assuming this is a silicon inlet hose. If so, no, it is not necessary to remove the intake manifold. Hard inlets are another story. Catch can is not necessary, but people like to add one so all that gunk doesn't go to the engine which typically gets burned off. People also freak when they see it in their lines.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae