Subaru WRX Forum banner

Turbo and injectors

16K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  titter 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a turbo and injectors for my 03 Wrx, but I'm not quite sure what turbo and injectors to get. I want something with a hp rating between 250-350hp, but I want it to still be somewhat efficient (if that makes sense) for a daily driver. Any idea what turbo and injectors I should run?

#6 ·
STi Pinks are great, an STi top mount and definitely a up pipe grenade removal are in order. Downpipe and catback would help as well.

My personal opinion for daily drivers is to push them to about 80% of what they can handle, outside that you are asking alot from the platform and somethings gotta give. I would personally skip the turbo swap until you have at least the catrless up-pipe down-pipe larger intercooler and injectors/pump to match.

A good tuner can pull a bit of extra power out and if you are currently stock the difference will be tremendous.

Also are you looking for 250 wheel horsepower or 250 at the flywheel? and why 250, is it just a nice round number or do you have a particular reason that 250 is in your head?

Oh and to answer your question a new garrett turbo will set you back about 2k and injectors about $500 assuming you get them both new. Add a new tune for $600 and you should be out the door just over 3k if thats all you plan on doing ( please do the catless up-pipe if nothing else )

#7 ·
"What are your current mods and mileage? What are your expectations beyond reliability? What do you want to spend to get to your goal?

250-350 is actually a very wide rang , for what it's worth"

I just bought. I has cold air intake and I think it has a catback exhaust on it. I'm not sure if there's a catless uppipe. I currently have 104,297 miles on the car. Reliability wise? It's gonna be my daily and I wanna keep it for a while so yeah, reliability is very important. Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to get some super fast STi. I just want a little more speed. And yes I know the tranny is kinda weak and I shouldn't launch it. Forget the 250. I just want it higher than stock hp, but less than 350hp

#11 ·
Take your cold air intake back( At this power level and in an 03 they are useless) and get a k&n drop-in filter and a light weight crank pulley of your choice instead. They won't get you more power but it will put the power you have to better use, moving the car forward.

Before your tune get one step colder plugs and a Grimmspeed EBCS. Your tuner will thank you. And for the love of God DON"T mess with the BOV!!!

#22 ·
I just thought of something... You say you just bought it with 104,297mi on it? Unless the previous owner already did it your timing belt change is due in 703mi!!!:eek:

Find out for sure or get this done before you buy your next tank of gas!!!:| NOW!!!

#26 ·
Unless you have confirmed the timing belt and it components have been done, dont waste your money on a BOV. I believed the previous owner of my car when he said he did the whole timing belt kit, when in reality he only swapped the belt. 16 bent valves later, I regret trusting him and not checking it myself. Remember; Verify, then trust.

#29 ·
VF 43, Walbro255 Pump, and STI Pinks are my planned upgarde. with a new pressure regulator as well.
there are some BOVs that work with our system. make sure u get the right one. i think they are called "recirculating bovs"? not 100% sure on that tho.
otherwise to use a BOV with no ill effects you need to move your MAF sensor and setup what is called a "blow through system" where your MAF is relocated to after the turbo.

as for TGV deletes....

TGV Delete FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC

its not something a normal DIY can do. i mean, its been done hundreds of times. but i would definitely say a 5/5 for DIY difficulty. cobb accessport can solve your CEL problems afterwards.

or you can find an S203 or S204 JDM Sti intake manifold. pretty sure they have straight pipes to the block.

its a worthwile upgrade if your engine is out of the car. but i wouldnt do this mod otherwise personally. just too much work otherwise for me.

#30 ·
Avoid the Walbro255. The new ones are junk from my understanding. Guess they are made in China and not in the US like the say they are. DW200 would be the better choice now. Also just stick with the factory BPV and forget the BOVs, it will make your life much easier in the long run.
TGV deletes can be done by even the most basic of shade tree mechanics. It's not rocket science unless you've never messed with a car before, but the guides explain things pretty well.

#31 ·
oh yea no worries. i have no plan for a BOV :)

and by "normal" DIY i meant your average car owner. if all your used to is bolt on mods and upgrades then grinding the inside of your engine/manifold can be pretty scary. sry shoulda clarified :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.