Turbo Blanket/Heat shield - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-03-2011, 04:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

POSEIDON is an unknown
Turbo Blanket/Heat shield

Just purchased a 05 WRX from a friend. I live in S. FL and it is really muggy here and will be for the next few months. Was reading up on turbo blankets and heat shields and thought that it would be an inexpensive "improvement". Has anyone who lives in the same conditions (muggy/Hot) put these on and what has the difference been if any. It seems that it would make sense to me to do this... any advice is cool, thanks for your time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-03-2011, 08:44 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Climate has nothing to do with the need for controlling under hood temps. Yes, you need it because of how much horsepower is lost by the intercooler getting heat soaked by not being protected from the extreme heat the turbo puts off (right next to it)

That being said, there are a lot of weenies on here that don't get it and will tell you that heat shields, header wrap, turbo blankets etc. are a waste of time and money. I don't remember the equation off the top of my head how much horsepower is gained for each 30 degrees of colder intake temps but it is substantial.

Do a little research and decide for yourself

Cullen
#3 Old 09-03-2011, 09:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I have my DP wrapped, my turbo heat shield in place and use cool tape on my intercooler. Combined everything together, if I remember correctly I dropped my intercooler temps by 40 degrees on a 90 degree day.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#4 Old 09-04-2011, 02:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

POSEIDON is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
I have my DP wrapped, my turbo heat shield in place and use cool tape on my intercooler. Combined everything together, if I remember correctly I dropped my intercooler temps by 40 degrees on a 90 degree day.
Is there a specific "BRAND" of the heat wrap and cool tape? Would most auto parts stores carry this?
#5 Old 09-04-2011, 04:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I used DEI Cool Tape and header wrap. The heat shield is a modified stock unit.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#6 Old 09-04-2011, 06:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

POSEIDON is an unknown
^ Thx psinuse, I'm just getting started on here and learning a lot from the forums. All the best...
#7 Old 09-04-2011, 07:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Not a problem that's what we are here for.....

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#8 Old 09-04-2011, 09:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I recently wrapped my DP and the hot side of the turbo with some extra heat wrap... Previously I had a Grimmspeed turbo heat shield and some heat reflective tape on the intercooler.

Results after a hard drive and then immeditately getting home and measuring at the same spots:

Top of heat shield:
Before- 190
After - 129

Bottom of TMIC:
Before - 152
After - 113

Firewall directly behind DP:
Before - 172
After - 158

Shock Tower:
Before - 162
After - 114

This was all recorded with my IR thermometer. While I can't comment on actual intake air temps, the IC dropped a solid 40*. I should have done two tests just letting the car run for 15 minutes with the hood closed to see how the heat soak temps changed.

-Chris
#9 Old 09-07-2011, 05:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

POSEIDON is an unknown
^ I work on a yacht and have access to an IR thermo also, I will do the same this weekend. Thanks so much for all the info!