Turbo back exhaust, need tune? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 19 Old 06-14-2013, 09:38 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec-lol View Post
Ok so school me on this. Im used to domestics needing a hand held tuner in order to dyno tune a car. Are you saying my wrx does not need a hand held to dyno tune? A shop can just upload a custom tune and thats that?
Did I say that? If so, it wasn't what I meant. Basically, every mod that affects air, fuel, or timing needs to be tuned for. Some of these adjustments are pretty straightforward and can be done without specific monitoring of the car (for example, a downpipe). Even a totally stock car though can benefit greatly from a tuner monitoring the car and adjusting in real-time on a dyno.

The stock map is functional. Not great, but functional. Similarly, you can get functional maps for other setups (the cobb AP comes with several). Open source tuning has been around long enough where there are lots of well tested functional maps for a pretty big variety of setups. Functional means here that they will work on lots of different cars pretty well, but not perfect for any car. If you want perfect for your car, you need to get it tuned professionally. That goes for any setup, stock or aftermarket.

Talking about Downpipes in particular, the 02-05 WRX stock map I personally think is better suited for a bellmouth than the stock downpipe. The stock map is certainly not ideal for stock or stock+downpipe.

There is no substitute for a good dyno tune. None.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 Old 06-14-2013, 02:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
He's asking if he needs the AP to dyno tune, and no you don't. The AP CAN be used to dyno tune the car, but is not absolutely required.
post #18 of 19 Old 06-14-2013, 05:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Depends on the tuner really.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #19 of 19 Old 06-14-2013, 07:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Maybe it will help if you guys think of the engine as a glorified air pump? Anything that significantly increases the air moving through it probably requires a tune.

A Cobb AP is absolutely required for tuning at IAG

John
07 WRX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement