Turbo back exhaust, need tune? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-10-2013, 02:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Vtec-lol is an unknown
Turbo back exhaust, need tune?

I tried searching this forum before asking but didnt have much luck. My question is i have a bone stock 03' wrx and im going to do turbo back exhaust. Will i need a tune or what? I planned on doing this exhaust with cobb ap at same time but now i see the ap is back up to $595 plus s/h. So i may have to wait a month or so. Anyways will my car run ok with this exhaust without cobb tune for a little bit or not? Also i will do the 2.2 ohm resistor for the check engine light. Is this correct as well? Id prefer to do both cobb ap and exhaust same day but this months budget is tight. Guess we'll see how it goes. Any info helps. Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-10-2013, 03:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'd wait on the exhaust to be safe. There is another way to tune your car without paying $600 for a AP...It called Open Source Tuning. Uses programs that have been around for a number of years and cost roughly $130 for the cable and flash block. The software is free.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#3 Old 06-10-2013, 04:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You're car won't blow up without a tune for an exhaust. You will be fine for a month. But with these cars its always better to be safe than sorry.
#4 Old 06-11-2013, 04:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

Vtec-lol is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
I'd wait on the exhaust to be safe. There is another way to tune your car without paying $600 for a AP...It called Open Source Tuning. Uses programs that have been around for a number of years and cost roughly $130 for the cable and flash block. The software is free.
Yeah $600 is pricey, im used to sct for mustangs being around $349. Anyways ive never heard of this flash block, do you have any more info on it or website you can refer me to. Ill tryn google it. Otherwise looks like just suck it up and buy cobb ap. just want to be as budget friendly as possible. Thanks
#5 Old 06-11-2013, 05:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Read here. Any questions please feel free to ask.
Opensource Read Up..

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#6 Old 06-11-2013, 05:51 PM
Vendor

PROImportTuners is more helpful than not
We have free shipping on the COBB Accessport and also offer a pretty big discount to forum members.

If you decide to go the COBB route, let me know and I'll be happy to help.

MEGA Sale on COBB Accessport for WRX and STI!

PRO Import Tuners
http://www.proimporttuners.com
#7 Old 06-11-2013, 07:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Vtec-lol is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO Import Tuners View Post
We have free shipping on the COBB Accessport and also offer a pretty big discount to forum members.

If you decide to go the COBB route, let me know and I'll be happy to help.

MEGA Sale on COBB Accessport for WRX and STI!
Well if your offering a good discount im game. Shoot me the info please. Thank you
#8 Old 06-11-2013, 09:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
They have a good deal going on right now, and besides being a way to flash some ots maps onto your car, it serves as a data logger, diagnostic tool, and a way to pro tune the car if you want to have it done later on. It's worth it, especially if you can get a used one unmarried for 450ish. Its much more convenient then dragging your laptop around. I went that route before, didn't care to much for it.
#9 Old 06-12-2013, 05:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

I don't drag my laptop around unless I am datalogging...other than that I almost never have it in the car....

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#10 Old 06-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Vendor

PROImportTuners is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec-lol View Post
Well if your offering a good discount im game. Shoot me the info please. Thank you

Responded to your PM!

I'm pretty confident that our forum discount is one of the best deals on the Accessport out there (If not the best).

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to help.

PRO Import Tuners
http://www.proimporttuners.com
#11 Old 06-12-2013, 12:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
I don't drag my laptop around unless I am datalogging...other than that I almost never have it in the car....
Thats the point, with the ap you can constantly monitor different parameters without the use of a laptop.
#12 Old 06-12-2013, 02:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockton View Post
Thats the point, with the ap you can constantly monitor different parameters without the use of a laptop.
The only time I need to do that is when I am wanting to monitor things for a reason...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#13 Old 06-12-2013, 03:01 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
The 02-05 WRX respond pretty well to a turbo back on the stock map. The stock map is pig rich and it's ECU control is different than the later years, it's not as big a deal. Lots of folks ran the EJ205 with bellmouth downpipes and stock maps for many years. I wouldn't worry about it. That said, you want a tune because it's a good value power wise and will improve the way your car runs. Personally, I'd skip both open source and the AP and take it to a tune shop.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#14 Old 06-13-2013, 11:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

Vtec-lol is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
The 02-05 WRX respond pretty well to a turbo back on the stock map. The stock map is pig rich and it's ECU control is different than the later years, it's not as big a deal. Lots of folks ran the EJ205 with bellmouth downpipes and stock maps for many years. I wouldn't worry about it. That said, you want a tune because it's a good value power wise and will improve the way your car runs. Personally, I'd skip both open source and the AP and take it to a tune shop.
Ok so school me on this. Im used to domestics needing a hand held tuner in order to dyno tune a car. Are you saying my wrx does not need a hand held to dyno tune? A shop can just upload a custom tune and thats that?
#15 Old 06-14-2013, 12:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
A handheld tuner like the AP can make it easier. But you can hook the car up and use software on a computer to tune it. Call and ask the shop you plan on using how they do things though, what one shop does another might not.