Turbo-back - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-16-2003, 12:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Outrider is an unknown
Turbo-back

Does a turbo-back exhaust eliminate the Cat in the downpipe or is an aftermarket downpipe also necessary? If so wouldn't it be better to buy a Cat-back exhaust then replace all the pipes with Cats? Not sure myself, never had a car with more than one Cat before. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-16-2003, 09:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

-l/l/rX- is an unknown
turbo-back exhaust systems eliminate all of the cats...and they sound like a v8, well thats just what this guy told me, who lives here in calgary, drives a jdm wrx, with carbon fibre hood n other stuff, and he has a turboback exhaust system, and he says its really loud. And if you want to save the enviroment then dont go with a turbo-back. Like you said you can go with a cat-bak and replace the d/p and get a d/p with a cat in it.

(anyone feel free to correct me if im wrong)

-ImpRezZive l/l/rX-
#3 Old 02-16-2003, 10:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrPearlBlu is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to wrPearlBlu
not all turbo backs eliminate all of the cats, the turbo back system consists of the downpipe(has cat from factory), a midpipe(has cat from factory, some downpipes replace both down and mid), and catback. here is a link of a diagram of the stock exhaust http://www.mattrandolph.com/wrx/wrx-exhaust.gif

most aftermarket downpipes replace both the downpipe and midpipe. You can get them totally catless or you can find them with a high flow cat in them.
perrin and mrt make downpipes with highflow cats in them but they are more expensive than the catted ones.
also turboXS has a turboback system that maintains one cat or you can get it totally catless.

Basically to answer your question you will gain more power if you eliminate all of you cats. If you have not already replaced your uppipe i would do that and a downpipe first and then get a catback to finish it off

"it aint cool to be cheap, it aint cheap to be cool"
#4 Old 02-18-2003, 04:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

tommy is an unknown
i have the gready evo catbck system and the hks down-pipe wich is also a midpipe replacement too and it's 3" all the way back

and by doing it myself it only cost me about $850 and it sounds great

i havent seen a full turbo back system for under $950 and that's not wih shipping costs so if you buy these two componets it's alot cheaper
#5 Old 02-19-2003, 02:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Dakken is an unknown
Full stainless Cat-Back 3" exhaust..customizable (1 big tip or 2 tip or 1 small tip or 2 small tips-- you decide how loud... low medium or loud) is only $579-600 shipped.. Drop me a PM if you guys want more info on that (i have a good contact w/that)

VRRRRRRRRM VRMMMMMMMMMMM
#6 Old 02-26-2003, 02:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mattr762 is an unknown
I have created a full mandrel bend turboback for around $400 with the most popular name brand products available. Don't get sucked into the hype that you must pay $1000 for a turboback or even $500-$600 for a catback. They shouldn't charge that much and you shouldn't pay that much. Check out my low cost solution below.

My exhaust can be seen here.

Use it or lose it!