Turbo - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-17-2011, 01:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

ot65 is an unknown
Turbo

I have a 02 wrx with stock intercoller only thing that isnt stock in the engine is the air filter and intake. What turbo should i go with. without having to purchase anything besides the turbo and installment parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-17-2011, 02:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
There isn't really any turbo that you can go with without other supporting mods.if your current turbo is dead or something you can go back to a stock one and be fine, but you still need a tune for your intake unless you want to do an engine build sometime in the near future.
#3 Old 07-17-2011, 02:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

ot65 is an unknown
Okay a tune would be fine but i dont want to have to spend like a thousand to get one size bigger turbo do u know what one i should go after
#4 Old 07-17-2011, 02:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

Depends what your looking for, if you just want a good bump in hp without a bunch of hassle then I'd go with a good down pipe and a stage 2 tune. That will give you a very noticeable bump in power and still keep you reliable on the stock turbo.
#5 Old 07-17-2011, 03:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

ot65 is an unknown
I got a full exhaust with a stage 2 tune and i am going to probally get a pro tune soon but i want to get a new turbo before i do that
#6 Old 07-17-2011, 03:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

c2bcoolwrx is more helpful than not
New turbo will require a Larger TMIC, larger injectors, and a Fuel Pump (DW300 or Walbro255), and a custom tune at a minimum.

If you do not have the money, save up and do it later.
#7 Old 07-17-2011, 03:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ot65 View Post
I got a full exhaust with a stage 2 tune and i am going to probally get a pro tune soon but i want to get a new turbo before i do that
I guess I'm confused I thought you were stock except for an intake? If you are looking for a turbo that is safe for your stock engine and tranny then I'd go with a 18g or like a fp hta 68, that's probably as big as you will want to get, even then you might be pushing it.
#8 Old 07-17-2011, 07:05 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Anything larger than stock is going to require the above mentioned parts (intercooler, injectors, and pump) to get anything out of it. So best bet is to honestly start/keep saving until you can get it all.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#9 Old 07-17-2011, 07:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You could still just throw a VF39 on there and call it a day... Your stock injectors would be maxed out with stock boost levels and your intercooler would hate it's life trying to cool that much more air though.

My advice is to get a stock STI turbo (vf39 from 04-06, vf43 for 07, vf48 from 08+) for a couple hundred bucks, buy my injectors in a few weeks (same size as stock STI injectors, I guess you could buy other ones but mine will make me money ), and an STI or aftermarket intercooler.

You'll be pushing about a grand at the least no matter what you do though.

Oh, and don't be surprised if you transmission assplodes.

-Chris
#10 Old 07-17-2011, 09:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

ot65 is an unknown
All right thanks for the tips.
#11 Old 07-18-2011, 05:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Oh, and don't be surprised if you transmission assplodes.
This is not always the case. I'm running the stock 5 speed and look at everything done to my car. If he drives with some sense then it may last a while...

OP one option is the 19T upgrade, although I don't recommend it really it allows you to keep things stock. I seriously think you should sit back and ask yourself what you want from the car first then decided on which turbo fits the need.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#12 Old 07-18-2011, 09:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Keith most people don't have your kind of patience. They feel that power and they start let the car have it. Which normally means the OEM 5 spd checks its self into the morgue after it shears a few teeth off. All of this referring to the 02-07 5 speed gears. So, (read this) this does not apply to 08+ wrxs.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#13 Old 07-18-2011, 02:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I have driven the crap out of my car and the 5-speed doesn't shift any different than it did 8 years ago, a little grindage here and there, but all in all not bad. Also with Uncle Snotty's trans cocktail...hehe

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#14 Old 07-18-2011, 03:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Then you must be one lucky S.O.B. !Laugh!

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#15 Old 07-18-2011, 03:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

[QUOTE=RcrsWetDream;264418]You could still just throw a VF39 on there and call it a day

I was thinking the same thing, but then he would be spending a grand "to run it properly" for the next step up turbo like he didn't want to do..Either way I think he is in for more then he realizes..