Tuners.. I need advice!!!! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 09-29-2011, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

POSEIDON is an unknown
Tuners.. I need advice!!!!

I am new to the whole WRX experience. I just bought a 05 Limited WRX from an aqaintence . He bought the car new and he has done MODS to it. He says it was tuned up north where he lived. The car has 110,000. Having a previous car that I did not change the timing belt to, ended up as a cheap sale to get off property. I am going to change the whole set up (timing/pump/pulleys/etc...) What he has done...PERRIN UP/DOWN, PERRIN BIG MAF/INTAKE, HKS HI-POWER EXHAUST, GREDDY BOV, (not that it matters engine wise, but TEIN STREET SUSPENSION). Like I mentioned, the first thing I am going to change is the timing set up. The next thing I THINK, should be a COBB AP with map for the upgrades. I believe I am going in the right direction with the timing belt. Is there anything that I would have to relay to you for more information for you to base your opinion?

All the best for everyone out there and thank you all in advance for the replies!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-29-2011, 09:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
What EM is on the car now? Sounds like you got yourself in pretty deep with all thoes mods and over 100,000 miles.

I don't have to be mad to punch someone in the face!
post #3 of 22 Old 09-29-2011, 09:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Why would you need a big MAF on a relatively basic stg.2 car?

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #4 of 22 Old 09-30-2011, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

POSEIDON is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by black beast2 View Post
What EM is on the car now? Sounds like you got yourself in pretty deep with all thoes mods and over 100,000 miles.
Stock engine, nothing upgraded, stock turbo, tmic is stock. I guess what I am trying to get across to everyone would be which way would you suggest to go for "preventative" maintenance at this point.
post #5 of 22 Old 09-30-2011, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

POSEIDON is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Why would you need a big MAF on a relatively basic stg.2 car?
All this was already on the car before purchase, as stated above, just looking for help at this point for maintenance and to try and stay ahead of problems that might arise into something that might cost big $$$. All the vacuum hoses look fine, radiator hoses fine also.
post #6 of 22 Old 09-30-2011, 04:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Well give it a good once over health check up, i.e. compression check, fluid leaks any abnormal sounds that shouldn't be there. Oil pressure, fuel pressure things like that. If it checks out okay them just drive it and enjoy. If you intend to mod the car then just follow the basic guidelines for modding these cars and you should be fine. Just keep up on the maintence on it and it will last a while.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #7 of 22 Old 11-15-2011, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

POSEIDON is an unknown
Just brought it to Subaru last week and had them put on my new Gates Racing Belts (A/C, Timing, Drive) also have purchased a Cobb AP with a custom Perrin Map for the intake and exhaust. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! They also did there 100 point inspection on everything, car is sound and they could not believe it was in such good condition for an 05 that spent most of its years in New England. Very Pleased!!!
post #8 of 22 Old 11-15-2011, 09:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Congrats and enjoy the car.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #9 of 22 Old 11-15-2011, 09:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by POSEIDON View Post
Just brought it to Subaru last week and had them put on my new Gates Racing Belts (A/C, Timing, Drive) also have purchased a Cobb AP with a custom Perrin Map for the intake and exhaust. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! They also did there 100 point inspection on everything, car is sound and they could not believe it was in such good condition for an 05 that spent most of its years in New England. Very Pleased!!!
Um, Perrin does not have maps for the Big MAF.... That intake requires a custom tune to drive period.
post #10 of 22 Old 11-15-2011, 10:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

ejs0806 is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by black beast2 View Post
I dont know why people think 100K is so bad. My last 2 vehicles have been high 100k vehicles and one broke 200k. Both trucks that have towed and work there ass off for me. As well as the diesel with 200K on it having a programmer on it and lifted pushing 37s for the last 100k i had it. Im just saying 100k isnt much for modern day vehicles expecially if you maintan them properly.
post #11 of 22 Old 11-15-2011, 10:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
No, but a diesel truck that isn't too molested can run forever if regular maintance is followed. Trucks and a forced induction flat-4 are two very different things.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #12 of 22 Old 11-16-2011, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

POSEIDON is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Um, Perrin does not have maps for the Big MAF.... That intake requires a custom tune to drive period.
I stated wrong above as having the Big Maf, I do have the Perrin short ram intake and Perrin Inlet hose. For that they actually do have a custom map for Cobb. Sorry, I had just purchased the car when I posted this for help and was wrong on the intake...
post #13 of 22 Old 11-16-2011, 10:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs0806 View Post
I dont know why people think 100K is so bad. My last 2 vehicles have been high 100k vehicles and one broke 200k. Both trucks that have towed and work there ass off for me. As well as the diesel with 200K on it having a programmer on it and lifted pushing 37s for the last 100k i had it. Im just saying 100k isnt much for modern day vehicles expecially if you maintan them properly.
Diesels run forever. Turbo Subaru motors do not share that reputation. And at +100k a lot of other parts like to start giving out.
post #14 of 22 Old 11-16-2011, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

POSEIDON is an unknown
Quote:
Diesels run forever. Turbo Subaru motors do not share that reputation. And at +100k a lot of other parts like to start giving out.
Thats what I'm learning. I'm glad I replaced the timing belt last week
post #15 of 22 Old 11-16-2011, 06:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
I know looking at myself, I'm not in to bad a shape and I am well over 100k+ miles....Oh you guys are talking about cars...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...