trying to find catch can plumbing... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 03-05-2008, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ColoWRXer is more helpful than not
trying to find catch can plumbing...

i'm about to get a couple catch cans and want a nice clean install. i remember seeing pictures of some premade/prebent hoses for the install but can't find where to buy the kit....after tons of searching all i've found is this:

Dual Catch can plumbing kit - IWSTI.com: Subaru STI Forums

the vendor on this forum was selling the kit but has since run out and the thread was closed. i know i've seen someone on this site with the kit. anyone know where i can find it?

if not, how would i go about getting that sort of tubing to hold bends like the tubing in the kit? if it's easy i'm sure i could do it myself for a lot less than $90.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-06-2008, 06:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

HUMANPIE is an unknown
Sorry, I can't really help you on your specific questions. But I found this product the other day.

IxizAOSep

Thought it was pretty cool. Guess it only helps if your looking into an oil catch can or something a little different like this. But doesn't have custom bent piping either.

it looks like the guy in the thread said he would be back in late Jan. '08 maybe PM him and see if he is gonna start it again?
post #3 of 13 Old 03-06-2008, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

thanks for the reply man. i actually did PM the vendor and he said more kits would be available in a few weeks. thanks for that link, i'll have to read up when i have a little more time.
post #4 of 13 Old 03-06-2008, 07:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

HUMANPIE is an unknown
Sure, no problem. There is a link for a review on that product at the bottom of the page. Apperently it's better than just a catch can because it drains the oil back into your engine. I might go this route. I had never seen an Air/Oil seperator before. Only catch cans. Kind of cool.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-06-2008, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

yeah man seems very interesting, and the price is right, about as much as a couple catch cans even with all the added price of the hardware. i might have to write a post about this product specifically to see if anyone else has any experience with/opinions about it. busy drinking at the moment, but i'll do some research tomorrow. that is a rex in the pic on that site right? i just didn't see the tubing for the pcv system in front of that aftermarket tmic.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-07-2008, 11:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

HUMANPIE is an unknown
I am not sure if the car in the video is a WRX or a Saab 92x. Those are the cars that that company makes products for. Either way though, they are pretty much the exact same car.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-07-2008, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

hmmm, always wondered about that saab...has a ton of impreza body pieces and the interior looks like a wrx with a saab logo on the steering wheel. i never knew saab and subaru had anything to do with each other.

i'm pming the guy who made the sep. on iwsti.com to get some more info and i'll let you know what he says.

crawford also makes an air/oil sep. that looks alot more like a catch can, but they're asking $350 for it. one thing that makes me wonder about these things is they seem to return the pcv air through one output. i've read about how it's not ideal to "T" the 2 pcv components into one catch can, so why does it work with an air/oil sep???

there's not too much info on these things, seems like catch cans are the more popular choice.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-07-2008, 06:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

HUMANPIE is an unknown
Sounds good. Hopefully one of the members with more experience will chime in here and help clarify your questions. I would like to know more as well.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-07-2008, 07:32 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
For catch can plumbing Home Depot and Lowes has what you need for the most part or you can pick up some vacuum tubing at any auto store.Silicone hose is another route to go as well. Tons of places sell it on the internet.The oil seperators like what Crawford and others are selling are not much different than other catch cans except that they drain back into your oil pan so you never have to empty it.They get away using one return because they use one way check valves in the inlets I believe.And that Saab is built using the WRX wagon chassis.GM(who ownes Saab) owned 20% of FHI about 2-3 years ago untill Toyota bought out their share.Thats why the new WRX sedans look like those Corolla sport coupes (in my opinion).

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #10 of 13 Old 03-08-2008, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

thanks for the help and clarification dumdum. i'm thinking i may just go the catch can route and make my own plumbing if i can't get the kit sold by the member on iwsti.com. he said that it will not work if i have my cruise control module on my passenger side strut tower, which i do. i just really like the look of the pre-bent vacuum hoses. random hoses running around my intake area just seem like they won't compliment our nicely put together engine bays. maybe i'll find some creative ways to route the hoses....if anyone has any ideas/pics please feel free to chime in.

i'm not too concerened about emptying catch cans, and honestly i'd rather top up with some fresh oil than have dirty, moist oil drain back into my cranckcase.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-21-2010, 12:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

kyramary10 is an unknown
I have seen the picture of that plumbing kit and I was so amazed. I just want to ask where did you get that? Is that kit available in local plumbing center?

My [url=http://www.computerseo.com]online[/url] plumbing.

Last edited by kyramary10; 07-23-2010 at 05:17 AM.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-21-2010, 01:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

fuapiti is more helpful than not
Hello there!

I'm on the sae boat... sort of. I got two catch cans to be installed, and I want them to be installed side by side, my question is: where should I put them?

If anyone has done it before or knows where can I find some pics, I'll appreciate it.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-21-2010, 08:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
Catch Can FAQ - NASIOC

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement