Subaru WRX Forum banner

Trubonetics T3/T4 hybrid

4K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  nick4592 
#1 ·
how would the Turbonetics T3/T4 hybrid turbo work on our cars? i have WRX and im looking for some pretty good power from it. if i did get it, how would i compensate for the additional fuel i would need? i thought i would just get a an afc, because i dont want to get the AP, Ecutek, or anything else like that. is there anyway i could go with an afc, some injectors, and a boost controller?

#2 ·
yes you could do things that way as in japan they usually have all manor of gadgets on their cars which work perfectly ok even on the most highly modified machines. however when these cars get imported into australia as low volume imports this stuff gets thrown out and replaced with a standalone ecu or reflash and usually makes more power and costs half the money to get tuned and drives smoother, but everything comes down to your tuner.

#3 ·
The AFC doesn't have enough range of adjustment to control larger injectors. The AFC takes the stock ECU signal and modifies it. That's fine on stock injectors, but with larger injectors, it doesn't have enough range.

Also, you will need some way to control boost and timing. You can't throw on a bigger turbo and not change all the aspects of your engine management. By the time you buy an AFC and a good boost controller, you'll be over the price of a reflash and close to the price of a UTEC. A UTEC or a reflash does everything you need easier and more reliably.

And, the extra money you are going to spend having custom piping made for that turbo would be better spent on engine management and a more sensible turbo like a VF34.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

#5 ·
the vf34 is not a cheap turbo. It's known for a quick spool. If you just want more power, you could go with a vf22. It's usually cheaper and offers 20-30whp more than a vf34. The difference is that it spools slower so the power comes at higher RPMs, later in the power band.

but you'll learn to just do what cosmo says :) He knows best

#10 ·
Cosmo said:
I would suggest the VF30 of the two. The VF22 can produce a slightly higher amount of peak power, but with more lag. The VF30/34 is the best turbo I've seen for a street car and for someone not looking to make huge power numbers.

You should check out the 40T...a great street turbo with quicker spool than a VF34/30 and higher peak power than the VF22.

#12 ·
the ej5-40t looks like a tdo5h turbine side with an 070 housing with a TDO5H core with a custom comp cover and i guess a TO4E 40 trim comp wheel, anyone know what this apparently effective combo really is or the inducer and exducer dimensions of both comp side and turbine side, it looks like it maybe a size or 2 up from a super 16g comp side with identical turbine side. Probably a good competitor to a TD05h-18g with a tdo6 comp cover. what is the highest wheel hp reading that has been achieved at what boost pressure?

#13 ·
smores said:
nick4592 loves his EJ5-40T's ROFL Every time I think of a turbo, I will think of that :p
F YEAH

stileguy said:
the ej5-40t looks like a tdo5h turbine side with an 070 housing with a TDO5H core with a custom comp cover and i guess a TO4E 40 trim comp wheel, anyone know what this apparently effective combo really is or the inducer and exducer dimensions of both comp side and turbine side, it looks like it maybe a size or 2 up from a super 16g comp side with identical turbine side. Probably a good competitor to a TD05h-18g with a tdo6 comp cover. what is the highest wheel hp reading that has been achieved at what boost pressure?
The highest WHP I have seen is 347 with 351ft lbs. As far as the dimensions to my understanding the inlet is bigger than the 'super 16' and I am not exactly sure about the rest of the details...I am just a product user...but Brian will :)

#14 ·
stileguy said:

It's not really the size of the wheels that is special about these turbos, it's the machining of the hot side. That's the secret.....

#15 ·
The highest WHP I have seen is 347 with 351ft lbs. As far as the dimensions to my understanding the inlet is bigger than the 'super 16' and I am not exactly sure about the rest of the details...I am just a product user...but Brian will
The deadbolt super 16G is a little bigger than the EJ5-40T, and deadbolt gives you a free lifetime rebuild. I was looking at a VF 34, EJ5-40T, and a super 16G for a while. I am glad I got a super 16G, because why go cheap with something some important. The EJ5-40T has not been round for that long compared to a VF34 or deadbolt super 16G. Also, you can upgrade a deadbolt super 16g to a 18g or 20g if you want more power down the road.

#21 ·
wrx904 said:
No, it does not come with the same warranties as deadbolt. Momentum comes with a 1 year warranty and deadbolt comes with a LIFE TIME REBUILD on there turbos.

....which doesn't cover damadge to wheels or cracks in turbine housings. So if your turbo goes out of balance due to wear, and it doesn't ruin the wheels somehow, and doesn't cause the shaft to deflect, You're covered!

#24 ·
only one way to decide which turbo is better, get your penis' out boys and whoevers is biggest wins. when you guys leave primary school you should consider being mechanics or turbo techs or something really grown up like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.