Tranny + Turbo???'s - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 10-14-2005, 09:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

Momemtum is an unknown
Naah, just get some hardened gears. Sounds stupid, but when my Buddy Dave (RIP) toasted his EVO tranny, he took it to AAMCO and they had NO problems taking that thing apart and putting it back together, and they were not expensive at all.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 10-14-2005, 10:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

smores is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to smores
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momemtum
Naah, just get some hardened gears. Sounds stupid, but when my Buddy Dave (RIP) toasted his EVO tranny, he took it to AAMCO and they had NO problems taking that thing apart and putting it back together, and they were not expensive at all.....
Would the Version 6 STi Cryo-treated gearset work in the 03 WRX gearbox?

I'm a n00b at tranny stuff... :'(
#18 Old 10-19-2005, 07:12 PM

DubyaAreEx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to DubyaAreEx
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspenWRX
does the 02 have a diff tranny then the rest of the wrxs?
No its the same tranny as all other 5speeds. Yes its the same as 99+ 2.5rs but that doesnt make it weaker. Ive personally been on stage4 for about 10k miles and no problems. There are plenty of other people (such as bluedemon and cosmo) who have been on stock tranny and clutch for +50k miles. Its all about how you drive it. If your out launching and slamming thru gears then it will go but if you just take it easy it should be alright.
#19 Old 10-19-2005, 07:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

absolutexk is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to absolutexk
so then its true that the 2005 gear box is stronger than the 2002-2003?
#20 Old 10-19-2005, 10:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

stileguy is an unknown
something that you guys in the US may have overlooked is the effect of lower final drive ratios in reducing gear and bearing loads inside the 5-speeds, my version 6 STI has an almost identical transmision to a normal 99 model wrx but over here in australia the 99 model wrx has a significantly higher final drive ratio than my 99 STI of 4.44, i have dished out a beating to it for many kms with my 280-300awhp and it is as good now as it has ever been. friends of mine are not as hard on their stock 99 wrxs as i am on my sti but they cant keep a box in one piece for longer than 3 months.(put redline synthetic gear oil in it and replace it every 12 months, its not cheap, but heaps cheaper than a gearbox rebuild every 3 months.) perhaps chasing a 4.44 lsd rear diff and a replacement 4.44 JDM gearbox may help your gearboxes last longer and decrease your quarter mile times as well. my car hits 7300rpm through the traps at 115.6mph in 4th gear. (rev limit is at 8200 and shift point is 7800)so still 500rpm to play with when power permits. i think momentum is correct, the gearsets are very similar strength wise between the ra and stocker but the lower final drive and closer ratios keeps them alive for longer due to less loading on the gears.
#21 Old 10-21-2005, 11:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

nick4592 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to nick4592 Send a message via MSN to nick4592 Send a message via Yahoo to nick4592
Couldn't have said it better

"Life's a bowl of punch so go ahead and Spike it!" -311