Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-On Tech (EJ205 2.0L '02-05 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/)
-   -   Tranny + Turbo???'s (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/tranny-turbo-s-9258/)

AspenWRX 10-10-2005 11:02 PM

Tranny + Turbo???'s

Alright, i cant come to a decision here....i have an 02 WRX with about 75k miles on it. My car has the following...
Hyperflow TMIC, Intercooler Hoses, Injen CAI, TurboXS Turboback + uppipe.
Now my tranny is a piece of crap, it feels so notchy and grinds a lot and im not new to driving stick. Now my clutch is pretty much gonna go soon so i need to replace that. I also plan on doing injectors, fuel pump, and getting a cobb AP for the turbo upgrade.

Now that you know what my car is like...im debating on what turbo to get. VF39 or VF34? Im worried if i get the 34 that i will blow up my transmission. What kind of power will start blowing up my tranny? I was aiming for the 250-260whp range because i believe that my tranny would be ok with that. Now, what kinda of power could i get out of the 34 compared to the 39 and would it be worth it to spend the extra money to get the 34 if thats my goal WHP wise?

My tranny situation; I also have a question about this. I planned on getting kartboy shifter bushings and short shifter along with sti tranny mount, will those help my tranny a lot or am i just wasting my money trying to get my tranny back to OK status?

One more question...as you see i have a TMIC, would it be worth it to take it off, sell it, and get a FMIC for a VF 34 or 39?

nick4592 10-11-2005 01:05 AM

On an 2002 wrx if you plan on doing any kinda power you MUST get a stronger tranny and clutch...no question. Depending on the power you want is what tranny you should get...RA's are good...I have a Dod Box that I daily drive and it did take me a while to learn to drive it but now I love it...and the RPS street disc is the way to for a strong clutch.

Edit: A TMIC will be just fine for those turbos...if you go bigger then get a FMIC

AspenWRX 10-11-2005 02:36 PM

does the 02 have a diff tranny then the rest of the wrxs?

slug1 10-11-2005 03:22 PM

keep the tmic unless you like more lag, that is what a FMIC will do on a VF34. not an expert of trannies, but I hear the 02 WRX are weaker than recent years, I would just throw on a STi tranny, one more gear and stronger gears, it may save time and money in the long run.

I would spend the money for the VF34, if you go to Gruppe-S, they have a VF34, Sti pinks, and Walboro fuel pump kit for about $1200 and free shipping. That is the setup I am looking for.

let me know how it goes. !Thumbs Up

AspenWRX 10-11-2005 04:17 PM

Well i dont really have the money to drop for an STI tranny or any tranny for that matter, i guess im gonna have to keep the stock turbo and just get that protuned, what kind of #'s could i get if i run 17 psi on stock turbo?

mosc 10-11-2005 05:50 PM

plenty of people on this site run 250-300whp (vf34) just fine on a stock clutch and stock 5spd. If you don't launch it every 5 minutes, you can get 50k miles out of it even at that hp level. Cosmo's ride is living proof.

and a vf39 is really small... get the vf34.

nick4592 10-11-2005 07:40 PM

IHI Turbos are over priced (if you get them brand new) and don't always hold up well to abuse...I recommend if you are considering a IHI just go with either a EJ5-40T or a monster 16G. As far as the 02 tranny the reason it is 'weak' is because it is the same 5 speed that Subaru was using in most of their cars....which didn't get the abuse that a WRX tends to.

shuttlegoose 10-11-2005 09:15 PM

what kind of tranny upgrades can you do without comletely getting an sti tranny or a new oem one. are we talking like new clutch and flywheel, or other stuff to make sure the tranny doesn't explode, and if so what are they?

nick4592 10-12-2005 03:57 AM

[QUOTE=shuttlegoose]what kind of tranny upgrades can you do without comletely getting an sti tranny or a new oem one. are we talking like new clutch and flywheel, or other stuff to make sure the tranny doesn't explode, and if so what are they?[/QUOTE]

On an 02....just get something else...RA gear set or my fav the Dog Box.. :)

dopekidz 10-12-2005 05:28 PM

if your looking for a beefier swap for your transmission then u should just look into a new gearset...most gearsets that i've seen range anywhere from 1400-3000...there's the ra gearset, kaaz hardened gearset, aps gearsets, challack synchromesh, etc...i would suggest to do your research first to see how much hp each gearset can hold...and unless your planning on making insane dyno numbers, i would overlook the dog box option...i mean granted their damn near indestructable, but the price to drop a set into your tranny will literally break your pockets...

mosc 10-13-2005 01:52 PM

the prevailing opinion is you should drive the stock tranny till it breaks and then put in an RA gearset. And continue using the stock clutch...

flywheel won't stop you from breaking your gears. It just allows the engine to rev easier.

smores 10-13-2005 02:37 PM

RA gearset, is that the one Gruppe-S offers, where they replace 5th and add a 6th gear, while replacing synchros and all that?

[ST-JDMTRANS] shown here >>> [url]http://www.gruppe-s.com/Subaru/subtrn.htm[/url]

dopekidz 10-14-2005 09:35 AM

[QUOTE=smores]RA gearset, is that the one Gruppe-S offers, where they replace 5th and add a 6th gear, while replacing synchros and all that? [/QUOTE]
the RA is a 5 speed like your factory gearbox...but i saw that gruppe-s now offers a conversion kit where u can change your tranny to a 6 speed...and i believe that the synchros and bearings are sold seperately for like $250 bucks a set...

Momemtum 10-14-2005 10:03 AM

From what I understand, the RA gearset isn't any stronger than the OEM gearset. Correct me if I'm wrong?

smores 10-14-2005 10:47 AM

awww, so it looks like I'm gonna have to drop $7000 on a JDM STi tranny? !Cry! !Cry! !Cry! !Cry! !Cry! !Cry! !Cry!