Total random newbish questions. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 08-08-2005, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXforME
Total random newbish questions.

Ok, I feel like such a newb asking some of these questions but its bugging me and my friend ### theres just some things we wanna ask. And I was trying to put this post in the Newbie/General forum but it wouldnt let me post anything there.

Lets start with some of the WRX related questions.

1) I have a 2004 WRX and the kid I bought it from installed a shortthrow shifter (Im not sure what kind). It just seems really rough throwing it into gear, its short, but kinda rough. I had my bro try it and he said his he had on his Integra was smooth. Is it normal to be alittle rough? My hand hurts after driving hard for awhile.

2) Is it wise to downshift to first while you are still rolling? Its hard to push it into gear at like a 5mph roll and I think I heard somewhere you shouldnt put it in first unless your coming to a complete stop.

3) When Im driving hard and I go from first to second gear, and hit the gas, theres a really akward buck from the car, Im sure its just me not familiar with the car yet, but what am I doing wrong exactly?

4) What is the quietest turboback out there? I want a turboback, but I dont want to bring too much attention to myself, performance is better than sound to me.

5) Whats the average HP gain with a Turbo Back Exhaust?

6) I was reading another article where Vew(I think) painted his rims, it looked awesome. Has anyone painted their stock rims? If so, do u have any pics?

7) Whats everyones favorite online store for WRX parts?

8) Does anyone think racing stripes would look good on a blue wrx? Or any decals for that matter? Any pics?

9) Whats everyones favorite body kit for the WRX? Wheres the best place to buy one?

Okay.. I think thats all the WRX questions for today.
Now just the general knowledge questions.

1) Whats the tallest mountain in the world?
haha just kidding.. Seriously

1) What does DSM stand for?

2) What exactly is torque compared to horsepower, I can read what it is but Im too stupid to get it through my head. Like, if I gained 100lbs of torque, how differently would my car ride?

3) Where is the nearest 1/4 mile track from CT. And does it cost any money to go and see what your car can do?

4) Who lives in CT? I know of 2 people I think that post here from CT, are there any more?

5) Last but not least. What exactly does double clutching do? I hear everyone talk about how to do it, but, WHY do you do it? Whats the benefits?

Okay now that I feel like such a newb and I made everyone laugh Id really like everyones opinions and $.02. Sorry for the long post and having it in the wrong spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-08-2005, 03:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
good questions, i cant answer all, and some im not 100% but ive noted those ones.

1. from what i can gather, the shifter itself wont be smooth or rough, its the gears in the tranny. but im not 100%

2. i downshift to first EVERY time the situation presents itself. thats, every time im coming to a stop, and when i make u turns. bottom line, it is not bad. you need to get everything mocing at the same speed if you want it to go into first smoothly. trying bliping the throttle.

downshifting 101:
from 3rd to 2nd

while driving in third, put the clutch in an select second gear. before releasing the clutch, give the throttle a press (a blip) to match the revs, release the clutch.

to first.
becasue of the ratios, its significntly harder to get into first while moving. its many times easier if you double clutch downshift.

while driving in 3rd;
clutch -> nutral -> blip -> clutch -> second

same rules apply for second to first, or third to first for that matter, if the situation presents itself.

if you are unfamilier with bliping on your downshifts, try the single clutch method untill you get it down. then work your way up to double clutching (doing your blips in nutral) after a while, you will realize you can do a double clutch in the same amount of time you can do a simgle.

3) you never want to HIT the gas. all the inputs (steering wheel and peddles) in your car need to be treated like volume knobs, not on off switches. smoothness is key.

4) dont know

5) dont know

6) go back to views post about it, and hit up the link to the other forum, lots of poeople tehre did there stock wheels, and it looks REALLY good.

7) depends on the parts. no one store is the best. shop around

8) herm. someone here has a stripe on there red one, and it looks sweet! blue would be a potentialy stripable imho. really comes to personal preferance.

General:

1) the talest mountain is of course Everest at 29,029 feet in Nepal/Tibet in Asia

1.1) not sure

2) horse power is actually a fictional number. and is based off the Torqu curve. its mesured at 5252 rpm for some physics based reason im going to go do some reasuch on now that you have posed this quandrie

3) dont know

4) dont know

5) ok. contrarie to fast and the furious doctrine, no one in there right mind would double clutch on an up shift. it is, 100% USELESS. double shifting while double clutching was touched on in a previoues answer.

double clutch downshift from 3rd to 1st;

third -> clutch -> nutral -> blip throttle -> clutch -> second -> clutch -> nutral -> blip -> clutch -> first

the idea behind bliping the throttle is to match the revs of the gears and the shaft so they spin together smoothly, as aposed to having the clutch slow one down to achive the same thing.

double clutching just makes it smoother, and can be achived in the same amount of time as a single clutch with practive. it also removes a very insignificant amount of wear on the clutch from bliping the throttle with it enguaged.

hope this helps you out. sorry i couldent asnwer the part questions, i havent started moding my ride yet.

Last edited by Nose Nuggets; 08-08-2005 at 06:57 PM.
post #3 of 23 Old 08-08-2005, 03:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
post #4 of 23 Old 08-08-2005, 03:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

a little more regarding 5252

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question622.htm
post #5 of 23 Old 08-08-2005, 05:34 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
1) I'm told that WRX's are very "notchy" compaired to most other manuals. They're also a lot harder to learn off of. It is normal with WRX's. If you take a pic of under the shifter boot, ,we can tell you what aftermarket you have. Also, he might have installed harder bushing which could account for the harder shifting. That you'd have to go under the car to look at in order to tell.

2) I would not downshift into first. It seems very unnecessary and in order for it to not buck (which would be dangerous to cars behind you not realizing you're slowing down), you'd have to rev it a lot higher than other gears to make a smooth transition.

3) That's normal too, but it could also be your driving making it seem worse. There's a notorious "thump" people feel/hear when shifting fast and hard. Rear differential bushing are supposed to minimize that. Whiteline sells a set. As for shifting, just keep at it and try not to think about it. You'll smooth it out on your own.

4) A DP with a cat will always be quieter than a catless system. I vote stock or Borla Hush for quiet catback. (catback + DP = turboback) You can also consider having a resonator welded in. It will deepen the tone and lower "booming" in the cabin.

5) 15-25 hp, you'll probably juice out a bit more with engine management and a tune.

6) Yes, that was me, and thank you. Keep in mind, the rims won't look as good as a factory or professional paint. If you look closely, you can tell an amature did it. I have a few bumpy spots here and there, but I can live with that. Also gave me an opportunity to fix curb damage. Link is here and within that link is a link to NASIOC's thread on stock rims
Finished Painting my STi rims

7) Gruppe-s.com, jscspeed.com, allsubaru.com. There's more.

8) Personally, It could look good, but you have a high chance of it looking cheesy/not flowing.

9) I favor the OEM (JDM or USDM) lips, side skirts, and rear skirts over body kits. The suttle differences are what counts to me. A car should look smooth, flowing with body lines and look like it was meant to be part of the car. You should not be able to pic out the mods if you don't know our cars.

General ?'s

1a) Mount Everest (highest peak)

1b) Diamond Star Motors (Mitsubishis)

2) Imagine an R/C car with High and Low. The Low that can climb stuff is more torque. It's harder to make the wheels stop and can tow. It should pull harder with more torque.

3) no clue
4) no clue

5) Shifting part 2 heel and toe post #15

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #6 of 23 Old 08-08-2005, 06:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vew
2) I would not downshift into first. It seems very unnecessary and in order for it to not buck (which would be dangerous to cars behind you not realizing you're slowing down), you'd have to rev it a lot higher than other gears to make a smooth transition.
getting it to 4000 or 4200 is enough to get it into first. no big deal
post #7 of 23 Old 08-08-2005, 07:03 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
With a loud exhaust like the Perrin, people look at you like wtf? when you rev it. Plus the rpm drops very fast that high up. You can, but in my experiuence it just doesn't seem necessary. I think 2nd gear is plenty.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #8 of 23 Old 08-08-2005, 07:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

some turns are too slow to take in second
post #9 of 23 Old 08-17-2005, 08:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zell_06 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Zell_06 Send a message via MSN to Zell_06 Send a message via Yahoo to Zell_06
Mt Everest is the highest mountain in the world. Mt Mckenly (sp?) in Alaska is the tallest, from base to top. Look it up.
post #10 of 23 Old 08-17-2005, 08:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

04WRXn00b is an unknown
My favorite site to get stuff, www.rallitek.com (they are local) Tallest peak is not mt mckinley if i remember it should be mauna kea, the big island of hawaii, because it is only like 15K feet but is another 15-20K feet below the sea floor at the base.

Best body kit for WRX? Don't get one, just paint the black side skirts blue(thats what i am doing) and personally I don't think racing stripes look good on any car.

-Travis
post #11 of 23 Old 08-17-2005, 09:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Herknav is more helpful than not
Garage
Don't worry about newbness, it passes. Ask your questions because that is the only way you get anwers...

Tallest Mountain... Everest is the highest above sea level, (measured from sea level to the peak). McKinley, (or as Alaskans call it, Denali) is highest from base to top, (as the base of Denali is only something like 500 feet above sea and Everest is way higher than that, in other words, if you put Denali where Everest was it would be taller) but the one Hawaiian volcano is highest if you measure from the bottom of the sea to the top.

Damn, I am such a geek to know this...

As far as quiet cat-back, I will let you know, my Borla Hush twn tip gets here tommorrow... I like the performance over sound idea myself...not to mention the stealth aspect of it...

Brandon
02 WRX Cobb Stage 2 now SOLD to my father who sold it to my Brother. Have fun Al!
post #12 of 23 Old 08-17-2005, 09:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

panasyncp17 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to panasyncp17
I live in CT, I always thought there were no tracks in CT, but this kid I know has a turbo Celica and he tells me he goes to a track somewhere in the NW part of CT.
post #13 of 23 Old 08-18-2005, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
That would be sweet if there was a track, Ill have to find out. We could go down there and Ill run against you . But only after I get a few mods done.
post #14 of 23 Old 08-18-2005, 09:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxtacy19 is an unknown
Theres lime rock raceway in CT but thats not 1/4mile i dont think.
post #15 of 23 Old 08-18-2005, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
I looked it up. Theres two racetracks in CT. Lime Rock and Stafford Motor Speedway (Stafford, CT), but, neither of them have a dragstrip

Bryan, we should tell the Indians at Mohegan to make one.

-Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement