Subaru WRX Forum banner

TMIC upgrade

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  newtothegame 
#1 ·
Hey guys, ive been reading several topics on this else where but I want to know if it is worth upgrading to a bigger tmic. Are the hp gain noticable? Im running a turboback exhaust and cobb AP stage 2. Thanks

#2 ·
They are worth it only if you get a tune. I personally used my stock TMIC with a Vf22 and didn't have any issues with it, but most say to do it unless you plan on going with a huge turbo then save up for FMIC.

#9 ·
You are correct. You would not see maximum results from an upgraded tmic until getting a protune. If your running a COBB stage 2 map then the real advantage of a larger TMIC would be its ability to resist heat soak which will COST you power. So in a way it would allow you to make the maximum power for a longer amount of time thus causing a gain under certain conditions. For example when you first start the car and all the metal is cold you would see little gain BUT after 30sec of hard acceleration your stock tmic could have heatsoaked to the point that your ECU is pulling timing to reduce the possibility of knock and costing you HP. This is the condition that the larger TMICs are engineered to prevent. Just a thought.

#4 ·
A protune would be required. The Cobb OTS map is not designed for a upgraded TMIC. Unless you go with a stg. 2.5 VF series turbo in which they use a STI TMIC. That is the only opinion on there maps from the site.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.