TMIC confusion... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-18-2008, 03:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
TMIC confusion...

So my basic plan here was to run the FP16g map that cobb has and it says to use the STI tmic, STI injectors, and the FP16G turbo (Apparently the fuel pump is not needed or so I was told by the guys on cobb)

I simply can not afford to buy all three of those components at once so what I did was made a plan of ordering them one by one I already have the sti tmic and sti y pipe in my room waiting to be installed but I wont be getting the other parts for a while and I have heard that I might run into complications with my car running properly if I do not get a tune while running the sti tmic.

So Is it true that it isn't in my best interest to put the tmic in with out getting some kind of tune for it? because its not like its going to be in there for a week with no tune or a day or two its going to likely be 5 or so months with out a further tune then the stage 2 set up and tune I have now. I was underneath the impression that sti tmic was fine to run with out a tune that I would only be a fool to put the injectors or turbo in with out some kind of a tune for it... Sooo confused any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dream Evil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-18-2008, 03:54 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You're not confused. You understand it fine. I Would say it's not really worth putting on the intercooler till you get the other parts though. You're probably going to take the intercooler off to get at the turbo anyway so might as well just save yourself the labor. The STi intercooler wouldn't hurt anything if you threw it on now but it wouldn't help much either. Especially with the winter season, your TD04 isn't going to need something that big.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 11-18-2008, 03:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
If you're up to it, you can put it on to look better with the big ol' red STi letters on the TMIC

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
#4 Old 11-18-2008, 04:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Yeah I mean I am not expecting it to help much with out a tune but...They way the made it sound is it will cause problems and I don't want to deal with any problems that I could avoid I don't mind the extra labor I just don't want to do it and my car runs like crap or it negatively effects my car in some way. As long as it isn't doing anything bad or good I am happy if it does something good thats obviously preferable but I am not going into this expecting it to with out a tune...So basically all I am asking is it going to do anything bad? or effect my car in a negative way?

Dream Evil
#5 Old 11-18-2008, 04:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
I think basically what mosc was saying is that it is safe. But you won't make any power. Which you already understand.

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
#6 Old 11-18-2008, 04:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Yeah, I don't mind the labor, and I certainly dont mind not making power, I just don't want any negative things to happen such as losing power or car not running properly so yah thats fine then they got me worried for a bit.

Dream Evil
#7 Old 11-18-2008, 04:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Well, they probably assumed you wanted a power gain from it, so by their thinking process, you would need a tune. But I highly doubt it will harm your car. Unless you don't install it correctly or something

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
#8 Old 11-18-2008, 04:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
There's not much point in doing it though... no gains yet. It would just be a way to spend an hour. It's not like you'de be checking it off the list of things to do later... because it's going to come off when you do the turbo like mosc said. It's 2 hoses and like 6 bolts for nothing. I'd be amazed if you could swap the turbo with the IC on

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#9 Old 11-18-2008, 06:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Yeah, honestly I just want to put it in so my car looks .5% cooler when you look through my tiny hood scoop lol...At this point thats the only reason, Plus its not a waste of time not in my book any how I mean every time I put in and take it out I get better at it and do it quicker so Ultimately I will be saving myself a little time when I do get my new turbo, plus I have nothing better to do on a boring sunday lol

Dream Evil
#10 Old 11-18-2008, 06:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamEvil View Post
Yeah, honestly I just want to put it in so my car looks .5% cooler when you look through my tiny hood scoop lol...At this point thats the only reason, Plus its not a waste of time not in my book any how I mean every time I put in and take it out I get better at it and do it quicker so Ultimately I will be saving myself a little time when I do get my new turbo, plus I have nothing better to do on a boring sunday lol
Only .5%? Dang, I was hoping for you that it would be at least a whole percentage point....

And true, sundays usually end up with nothing to do. If my parents weren't so darn religious, i'd be able to do something on sundays. Usually just sit inside and watch movies all day. And eat buttered popcorn.... Dang I want more popcorn now....

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
#11 Old 11-18-2008, 07:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
haha yah nah it'll be cooler im excited to see those nice red stti letters instead of a silver thing haha but yah its a pretty good way to spend my sunday if I may say so myself

Dream Evil
#12 Old 11-18-2008, 10:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
I'd be amazed if you could swap the turbo with the IC on
I bet if you're one of those people who can build a model ship in a glass bottle, you could probably do it

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#13 Old 11-18-2008, 10:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Nope, I am like horrible when it comes to actually doing things, I can know every little number, detail, strategy w/e I have a curse of bad luck when it comes to actually doing it though haha which is why I have my dad help me because hes one of those people he is a perfectionist he never does a half assed job and usually gets pissed off at me because I tend to do that alot.

Dream Evil
#14 Old 11-19-2008, 11:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamEvil View Post
Nope, I am like horrible when it comes to actually doing things, I can know every little number, detail, strategy w/e I have a curse of bad luck when it comes to actually doing it though haha which is why I have my dad help me because hes one of those people he is a perfectionist he never does a half assed job and usually gets pissed off at me because I tend to do that alot.
LOL, you guys are at opposite ends of the spectrum then !Laugh! Good luck with the install, keep us updated on your future power endeavors

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
#15 Old 11-19-2008, 02:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Yah usually me and my dad don't work to well together because if there's a easier way that's my route and he freaks out about that he's always up for the 3 hour way and if something goes even slightly wrong he will like work on it till its 100% fixed or w/e which I guess isn't a bad tribute, as for the whole hands on stuff same thing He doesn't know a damn thing about computers I am not a computer wizard but know enough and yet when I was putting my computer together I couldn't do everything called him and he comes does it in 5 minutes but yet he doesn't know anything about it lol in any rate I will deff keep you guys updated, Should be getting my injectors next month and hopefully the turbo shortly after.

Dream Evil