Subaru WRX Forum banner

Time has come for 1st mod

3K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  airplnmdls 
#1 ·
well ive gotten comfortable enough with the car (it being my 1st manual transmisson car). I no longer feel the tingle in my spine when i take a corner quicker than i normally would nor when i actually PASS ppl going slow as hell.

i kinda wanna keep that feeling :( what should i do as a first mod for my Suby? Ive replaced the radiator due to it having a massive leak. It was to the point where if i gunned it up past 3k (in neutral with ebrake up of course) and coolant shot up out of the radiator like a fountain.

i keep seeing coolant spilling tho wth is wrong. all hoses are tight. there is a skinny looking black radiator looking thing in FRONT of the rad right before the bumper. its got lines coming out of the top on both sides and there covered in green fuzzy crap. if i knew what part that was id replace that along with my 1st mod whatever it may be.

remember my car is bone stock. 161k on the odo. shes a good old gal ^_^.

#4 ·
oh yea i should list everything ive done maintenance wise to the car :p

I got all new brake rotors and pads, tires and radiator so far. the stuff isnt anything special. i work at a Firestone so i can kinda get some stuff for free/cheap done.

im planning to flush tranny and both the differentials. also had an alignment done when i mounted my tires.

what kind of fluids should i use for the diffs and tranny?

my goals for the car are just DD with a lil bit of extra pep. in time id like to get a STI or maybe a newer WRX to actually put money into. i figure with a car this old i should not buy any big power mods because ill be looking at buying a new engine before long lol

#5 ·
Sorry, I said that incorrectly: Performance Tires.

I use Castrol GTX 5w30 under the hood and subaru fluids for the drivetrain stuff. It's VERY IMPORTANT you use only the factory subaru fluid for your rear differential.

#6 ·
I've spent HOURS looking at which fluid I should use for my front and rear tranny fluid...your best bet would to stay with the factory fluid. Which for you should be the same as mine, 75W-90. Or if you feel like going a step up, Subaru sells a synthetic version of the fluid that people really seem to like called 75W-90 Extra S...Subaru only sells it by the drum, but I found this website (which is actually a dealership) where they sell it by the quart, and that's where I plan to get my fluid from... Subaru 75w90 "Extra S" Synthetic Gear & Transmission Fluid - Quart Bottle
It's not anymore than other aftermarket fluids, and I haven't reads anyone who has complained about it...

#14 ·
Be careful, allot of gl-5 fluids have more of the substance that protects hypoid gears, but kills synchros on the tranny. Subaru has found a happy medium with their gl-5 that won't destroy the synchros as fast.

#13 ·
Yes that is what Subaru reccomends...GL-5 rating and a 75W-90 weight, but people still seem to have troubles with certain brands, even though they meet those two requirements...I don't know if its their driving habits or actually the fluid...but I'd stay with the stuff you know for sure works, and works well...(either of the Subie fluids that is)

#16 ·
With gear on gear trannies (not slush buckets) drain and fills will NEVER hurt them unless the wrong fluid is used. Just make sure to use proper lubes and you should be fine.

#18 ·
Yeah an auto, some say (and I am not one of them) that flushing an auto can cause issues. I am one that thinks fresh fluid is pretty much always good unless the tranny is gonna die next week anyway. In that case the fluid didn't cause it, it just uncovered it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.