Subaru WRX Forum banner

tgv valve number 1 removal

10K views 43 replies 8 participants last post by  cooperwrx 
#1 · (Edited)
hey my tgv sensor on my 04 wrx number one right in front of my turbo has a crack in it and is throwing me a tgv number one closed code and making the car run like ass. the soobie dealer said to order a new one i need the part number so im guessing it has to be removed. does the intake manifold have to come off to get to it or can you snake it out? ha anyone for some weird reason have one laying around and have a part number for it? also any idea how much one runs?

thanks!

#2 ·
If you dont mind rough cold starts, why not just remove the TGV's all together ? less restriction = better flow $$. I'm about to do this on my wrx, I just threw the p1097 code for the first time on tuesday, havnt seen it since then but it gives me something to do. Sorry I dont know the part number or price =/

#3 ·
yeah i was thinking about putting deletes in for 200 plus shipping, it would probably be alot cheaper. but i would need a tune (i think) and thats another 400 bills ha.. yeah it goes into a limp mode then after a while it gets a little bit better and boost comes back and then goes into limp mode and i turn it off and on so the boost comes back but still runs like ass. i just took my vta bov off and put the stock one back on. maybe it will help with the car not running so great. but thanks for the suggestion! is the deletes a pain to put on??

#7 ·
no i dont have a EM. i got a perrin uppipe, catless dp, and a perrin intake and bov. im plannning on getting a perrin inlet pipe and the deletes and heading down to precision tuning down in lakewood nj after i put them in. just this tgv is getting me angry because the car is running bad!Cry!

#9 ·
The IM DOES need to come out to do the TGV's..... My advice to you would be to get the phenolic spacers and get it all done at once. It is a BIG PITA to do... and you really only want to do it once. To take the IM and TGV's out, you are looking at an 8 hr job in and out.

#10 ·
Alright yeah that does sound like the best way to go and might as well do the plug while im there. can you point me in the right direction in what deletes/spacers/and plugs to get? i was on grimmspeed and found the spacers and deletes..

GrimmSpeed
Do i need the Ceramic Thermal Coating, IM to TGV gasket, and the TGV to engine gasket?

#11 ·
If you get the phenolic spacers, get the OEM gaskets as well. If GS is doing your PnP, get their spacers as they mate up to what they do.

As far as which coating to get... What are you going to be doing in the car ? Auto-X, drag, etc.....

#13 ·
I personally wouldn't do it... unless you can weld well and all that. Are you wanting to learn ? I would try it on a UP or something similar .... Just a thought. Is it worth the 180.00 from GS.... probably..... Ask Ron (dumdum) here if he will do it for you for a bit cheaper.

#17 ·
Oh all right, yeah I already have a Perrin up pipe in which was a pain. And that’s how I believe I broke the tgv sensor number one. I think I might just get the weld less kit and have our fam friend port it for me. Unless someone had a bad experience with the weldless

#20 ·
Hopefully one of my last questions about this..! But since I have that tgv closed code and I get the deletes and spacer will my car still run poorly with out a tune? I got my boost gauge up and going and when the car is running bad, it’s only boosting 6 pounds..! Now is this closed code a mechanical problem (the flap is closed) or is it an electrical problem (ecu making a fuel cut and or boost cut ect). Because I would hope it’s a mechanical problem so I can at least drive the 3 hours to the tuner..

PS the 8mm spacer is sold out, Is the 3mm even worth buying??

#22 ·
If there is a malfunction with the TGV it is not an ECU issue. Either there is an issue with the sensor or the motor that drives them. I have even seen where the flap got warped and wedged closed.

You can only use the 8mm IM spacer if you have a FMIC. The TMIC has clearance issues if you run the 8mm spacer.

#21 ·
Look into KSTechnologies for their spacers (I picked a set up a while back ).... I would think it's an ecu issue since the tgv is jacked...

Ask Mike or Justin at Grimmspeed how long till they can get you one ?

Just stay out of boost for the drive....

#27 ·
Did you look on NASIOC (I hate that place for anything more than classifieds) Some of the vendors will beat that (PM them).... saw it not TOO long ago for 219.00 shipped.

looked around a bit... that looks like a decent price.

#28 · (Edited)
got them!

alright alittle tight on cash for the inlet but how does this sound for my build.
right now i got:
APS 3inch catless DP
TGV deletes
Perrin uppipe
Perrin BOV
Perrin intake
Perrin Boooost controller
H&R springs

(my car will run with the deletes in right??)

On its way:
HKS catback TI 3inch exhaust
OEM spark plus from subaru
Going to perssion tuning.

is this a pretty good build for now? and would you guys suggest something else (not alot of money) im planning on doing more but not for a while.. anyone have a rough idea what my hp/torque might ball park be around?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.