tgv valve number 1 removal - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old 06-03-2009, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

cooperwrx is an unknown
tgv valve number 1 removal

hey my tgv sensor on my 04 wrx number one right in front of my turbo has a crack in it and is throwing me a tgv number one closed code and making the car run like ass. the soobie dealer said to order a new one i need the part number so im guessing it has to be removed. does the intake manifold have to come off to get to it or can you snake it out? ha anyone for some weird reason have one laying around and have a part number for it? also any idea how much one runs?

thanks!

Last edited by cooperwrx; 06-04-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 06-04-2009, 04:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

04wrxhart is an unknown
If you dont mind rough cold starts, why not just remove the TGV's all together ? less restriction = better flow $$. I'm about to do this on my wrx, I just threw the p1097 code for the first time on tuesday, havnt seen it since then but it gives me something to do. Sorry I dont know the part number or price =/
post #3 of 44 Old 06-04-2009, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

cooperwrx is an unknown
yeah i was thinking about putting deletes in for 200 plus shipping, it would probably be alot cheaper. but i would need a tune (i think) and thats another 400 bills ha.. yeah it goes into a limp mode then after a while it gets a little bit better and boost comes back and then goes into limp mode and i turn it off and on so the boost comes back but still runs like ass. i just took my vta bov off and put the stock one back on. maybe it will help with the car not running so great. but thanks for the suggestion! is the deletes a pain to put on??
post #4 of 44 Old 06-04-2009, 07:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwrx View Post
yeah i was thinking about putting deletes in for 200 plus shipping, it would probably be alot cheaper. but i would need a tune (i think) and thats another 400 bills ha.. yeah it goes into a limp mode then after a while it gets a little bit better and boost comes back and then goes into limp mode and i turn it off and on so the boost comes back but still runs like ass. i just took my vta bov off and put the stock one back on. maybe it will help with the car not running so great. but thanks for the suggestion! is the deletes a pain to put on??
You don't need a retune for TGV deletes. They just have to defeat the CEL's.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
post #5 of 44 Old 06-04-2009, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

cooperwrx is an unknown
you said i dont need a retune. does that mean i dont need a tune at all because i have never had a tune before. so would i still need one after i put them in? ( i want to get a tune any way but it would be easier just to put them in asap.
post #6 of 44 Old 06-04-2009, 10:39 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Do yu have any type of EM now or not? If you dont it would be good to get a tune so they could then turn all the CELs off that deal with the TGVs.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #7 of 44 Old 06-05-2009, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

cooperwrx is an unknown
no i dont have a EM. i got a perrin uppipe, catless dp, and a perrin intake and bov. im plannning on getting a perrin inlet pipe and the deletes and heading down to precision tuning down in lakewood nj after i put them in. just this tgv is getting me angry because the car is running bad!Cry!
post #8 of 44 Old 06-05-2009, 01:00 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I see. If you got the cash and time, do the TGV delete, and then take it for a nice tune.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #9 of 44 Old 06-05-2009, 06:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The IM DOES need to come out to do the TGV's..... My advice to you would be to get the phenolic spacers and get it all done at once. It is a BIG PITA to do... and you really only want to do it once. To take the IM and TGV's out, you are looking at an 8 hr job in and out.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #10 of 44 Old 06-05-2009, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

cooperwrx is an unknown
Alright yeah that does sound like the best way to go and might as well do the plug while im there. can you point me in the right direction in what deletes/spacers/and plugs to get? i was on grimmspeed and found the spacers and deletes..

GrimmSpeed
Do i need the Ceramic Thermal Coating, IM to TGV gasket, and the TGV to engine gasket?
post #11 of 44 Old 06-08-2009, 08:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If you get the phenolic spacers, get the OEM gaskets as well. If GS is doing your PnP, get their spacers as they mate up to what they do.

As far as which coating to get... What are you going to be doing in the car ? Auto-X, drag, etc.....

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #12 of 44 Old 06-08-2009, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

cooperwrx is an unknown
i was thinking.. and i work at a dealer as a tech. is it that hard to do the delete yourself??

and or. i know a guy that has a machine shop and can probably do it. but is it a bad idea
post #13 of 44 Old 06-08-2009, 01:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

I personally wouldn't do it... unless you can weld well and all that. Are you wanting to learn ? I would try it on a UP or something similar .... Just a thought. Is it worth the 180.00 from GS.... probably..... Ask Ron (dumdum) here if he will do it for you for a bit cheaper.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #14 of 44 Old 06-08-2009, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

cooperwrx is an unknown
oh alright because i saw the kit where you put the blocks in and its a direct bolt in.
Weldless TGV Delete Kit - '02 thru '06

* and sorry i'm trying to get used to this terminology, but what does GS and UP stand for ha.. my bad*
post #15 of 44 Old 06-08-2009, 03:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
GS is an abbreviation for a company GrimmSpeed

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt