Subaru WRX Forum banner

TGV Delete project :)

15K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  AllExtinct 
#1 ·
So I'm in the process of doing the TGV delete mod and figured I would share some pics of how the progress is going.
I'll try to keep updating this with fresh pics and share any problems that I run into as time goes on.

If you plan on doing this mod be aware you will need some kind of EM to turn CEL codes off or else you will be put into limp mode.

I already removed the motors and the sensors from each side of them.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
So here is where I ran into my first problem.
I've seen alot of people post about just removing the screws from the butterfly's to remove the shaft but easier said than done.
These screws are cheap as hell and everyone I tried to remove stripped so I made life alot easier and pulled out the dremel with some cut off blades and cut the heads of the screws off and gave a hit with the hammer and the butterfly's popped right out.

But even after removing one of the screws by luck what seems like a small bottom cap remained on the shaft so I just carefully cut them down with the dremel to slide the shaft out.

Attachments

#3 ·
I felt like adding a personal touch to these so I carefully cut the tops off where the motor and sensors stuck up.
Since I didn't plan on buying the metal plates to cover the holes up with I cut these down for a clean look.
Also cut down the face of the side that had the motor for a more flat surface.

Needs some touch up but I have plenty of time for that.

Attachments

#4 ·
The screws in the butterflies are much easier to remove if you grind the back off of them. I traced the outline of the motors/sensors for templates to cut my own covers out of a piece of aluminum. I also used a new gasket to port match them. While they are off you can add phenolic spacers if you like. I've heard more than 3mm will cause clearance problems when using a tmic. Ill see if I can find some pics of mine with the covers. Looks like your doing a good job.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#5 ·

Attachments

#6 ·
Chuck,
This looks great and is what I want to do next, once I'm getting rated boost. Ha ha.

I heard that we could just take the butterfly plates out and leave the shafts in, which still rotate so no CEL codes are kicked out. It's still less restricted intake flow - which is the objective - with fewer trade-offs from OEM.

While it's out though, I'm going to replace the intake duct and paint the intake itself cherry blossom red. I like the STi color. :)

#7 ·
Yeah I painted my intake already while doing the swap def. looks better painted.
I picked up some more odd and ends stuff at Lowes last night and grabbed some black temp paint for the TGV.

#9 ·
So I have the divider plates cutout, used a carbon blade hacksaw that only took about 10 mins per set.
And used a few different attachments for the power still and dremel and the best luck I have had so far with getting the sides rounded out was a ruff file and elbow grease.
Also have the sides capped up. I'll try to get some current pics of progress up when I get home from work but so far so good!
>:D

#11 ·
So here's what I got done the past couple days.
Capped off the holes on the outside and caked the bolts up with JB weld so no worries of leaks here. :D

Did the quick cuts with the carbon hacksaw blade.

Attachments

#12 ·
Getting these rounded out was the biggest PITA part by far.
I used a variety of different bits but a rounded ruff handle file seemed to gut it out the quickest then just hit it up with the dremel a bit.
Still have to touch it up but it came a long way from the air dam it was before. :D

Hit up the outside with a wire wheel just to clean it up some still have to touch that up before the paint job as well.
Its my first attempt at doing something like this so I didnt expect a professional outcome.

So now goes the debate part. Do I go for smooth finish or course finish on the inside.
Ive seen some say smooth and others say course is fine as well.

Attachments

#15 ·
So after after numerous sanding wheels on the dremel and a hit with the polish wheel this seems to be my final outcome.

I have some flaws, I know but I did this from my garage not a machine shop :laugh:

gonna clean up the outside next and prep it up for painting.
Next update in a few days. :)

Attachments

#17 ·
Yeah I ordered oversized GS replacement gaskets for the IM/TGV and they are good.
I matched up the TGV/Head and they are good as well.

I didn't take to much meat off the bottom since I didn't port the heads out just enough to round it out. I took a bit more off the top since the GS gaskets are oversized and I plan on doing some porting on the IM while I have it out.

#23 ·
Figured Id share this info to the AP Users.
To remove the CEL codes I used Access Tuner Race for AP.
To do this you need to go to Edit/Adv Param/Toggle base and uncheck all TGV codes.
You need to load what ever map your using into ATR and edit that map and then save the changes then load that map onto AP. Reflash on your ECU and BAM! no more CEL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.