TD05 Turbo - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-02-2013, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Jbarth13 is an unknown
TD05 Turbo

Hi all,

I'm a bit of a car newb, and new to WRXs. I am looking at a car online right now that has a TD05 with no supporting mods. Everyone says you need injectors, a fuel pump, a tune, and probably an up pipe. Will running the car without these mods damage it, or just not make it drive particularly well?

Thanks,
JB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-02-2013, 02:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Move along to a different car.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-02-2013, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Jbarth13 is an unknown
Because running it with that turbo would damage it? What if I picked up a stock one? I'm interested in the car because it has had a ton of recent maintenance done.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-02-2013, 05:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Yes. Pass on it. If the owner was willing to disregard their car like this you're really wanting to make an multi-thousand dollar investment in something they've already shown they don't know how to take care of properly?
post #5 of 9 Old 01-02-2013, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Jbarth13 is an unknown
thanks very much!
post #6 of 9 Old 01-14-2013, 12:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

WORX661 is an unknown
I don't see how the td05 can be a issue with out the mods, as long as it pushing stock boost. You won't benefit or get the full use of the turbo with out the supporting mods. I just can't see how you hurt the engine if your running stock boost. I ran a gt28r on my s14 for a while the switch to a different turbo. Same boost nothing changed until I went to get tuned for more boost. Maybe it's just. Subaru thing I don't know.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-14-2013, 01:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WORX661 View Post
I don't see how the td05 can be a issue with out the mods, as long as it pushing stock boost. You won't benefit or get the full use of the turbo with out the supporting mods. I just can't see how you hurt the engine if your running stock boost. I ran a gt28r on my s14 for a while the switch to a different turbo. Same boost nothing changed until I went to get tuned for more boost. Maybe it's just. Subaru thing I don't know.
Advice like this blows motors, regardless of make. I suggest you not offer up advice on the subject again until you understand WHY this post will make other people cringe.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-14-2013, 01:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

WORX661 is an unknown
I wasn't offering any advice. I'm just trying to under stand how on subaru it's so bad to switch a turbo with out its supporting mods if your still running stock boost. I under stand different turbos have different spool reactions n points. But 16psi is 16 psi. I don't know if its a flat four thing or a subaru thing. I'm learning here flat four n subarus are fairly to me. So I hope I'm not offending anyone.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-14-2013, 02:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WORX661 View Post
I wasn't offering any advice. I'm just trying to under stand how on subaru it's so bad to switch a turbo with out its supporting mods if your still running stock boost. I under stand different turbos have different spool reactions n points. But 16psi is 16 psi. I don't know if its a flat four thing or a subaru thing. I'm learning here flat four n subarus are fairly to me. So I hope I'm not offending anyone.
1. 16 psi on a TD04L-13T is not remotely the same as 16 psi on a GT35R. You're completely neglecting the VOLUME differences. That's a 100 whp difference at the same manifold pressure given the mods to safely compensate.

2. How do you plan on maintaining 'stock boost' levels on a different turbo when your wastegate tables are not adjusted? Poor boost control regulation = ???. Different wastegates are different sizes, have different spring pressure, and some work better than others. This is compensated for in the tuning process.

This is universal across all platforms. Nothing about this is Subaru specific. You were insinuation that it was ok that he run a different turbo as long as the manifold pressure does not change, and this is a grossly negligent comment.