TD05 16G turbo from eBay? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 Old 01-04-2017, 02:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I said it years ago, ebay no name turbos have their place but if you daily drive your car they dont belong under the hood. That damage you can cause with a failed turbo isnt worth the cost savings for a daily driver. If your building a super budget track car and you dont have to rely on it to put food on the table then go for it, and crank that chinese cheapo up to 11 but I dont like the way cheap parts balance and i dont like the way cheap seals hold.

We have a saying ( Cheap, Reliable, Fast << Pick 2 )

- Jason
Slow is Smooth > Smooth is Fast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 Old 01-04-2017, 03:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ruso is more helpful than not
Garage
I was pondering getting the compressor and exhaust housings on ebay and putting in a reputable core. It still seems to save a few hundred bucks. We shall see, no mods 'till spring :-D
post #18 of 21 Old 01-04-2017, 05:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Ruso after seeing the kind of metal work your capable of I would trust you to make something ebay cheap and make it awesome. ust keep in mind that your time and expertise is also worth money. Ive gone down the buy cheap and just make it better route many a time and eventually its 3:30 in the morning and things arnt lining up and a good nights rest is well worth the few hundred bucks you might save.

Anyway we got this thread way off track. Ebay turbos can be fun but they can also be bad : (

- Jason
Slow is Smooth > Smooth is Fast

post #19 of 21 Old 02-15-2017, 03:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

Traves is an unknown
To continue the eBay turbo discussion, what about Rev9 turbos? I've seen them on eBay but haven't found any conclusive ratings. Does anyone have any experience they would like to share?
post #20 of 21 Old 02-15-2017, 05:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ruso is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traves View Post
To continue the eBay turbo discussion, what about Rev9 turbos? I've seen them on eBay but haven't found any conclusive ratings. Does anyone have any experience they would like to share?
I do not know about their turbos (but would like to find out).

I do run a Rev9 downpipe (used to be catted, but I gutted the cat). The fitment was great and it's lasted so far with zero issues.

I also run a Rev9 EWG.... the build quality looks good, but from the factory it came with lose screws inside and would not hold so I had to take it apart and put the screws back in (it was a pain in the ass until I realized this).... Also, the housing was not stainless steel but just regular steel (or really shitty stainless) so it started to rust just a few months in. I'm also having issues with it leaking just a tiny bit... it holds boost just fine during spool up and opens correctly and works wonderfully at controlling the boost... but I can hear a very quiet "gurgle" when idling and driving slowly.

I don't think I like the wastegate... it looks good but if I were to choose again I would likely get something else.
post #21 of 21 Old 02-17-2017, 07:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
turbos are like tv's or any other consumer product. each individual company does not make their own parts. its far too expensive.

there are only a few parent companies making the CHRA's & turbines and then companies assemble the bits and pieces to form a product. metal is metal all over the world so the housings are easy to make anywhere by anyone. its simple casting. and with 5axis milling becoming soo abundant... anyone can make a make a billet compressor wheel. there are home desktop mills able to carve compresor wheels availble for less than a few thousand dollars.

so just like sony, panasonic, magnasonic, samsung, sorny, magnetbox, etc... they all have the same guts inside. heck even your apple iPhone isnt made by apple. this is just how consumerism works. even a big companies like Blouch use Garret CHRA's and turbines...

the problem with cheap chinese turbos in this case is the finishing. while the metal and castings are the same everywhere, there could be bits of casting flashing left on the inside ready to destroy your turbo. making a chinese turbo good is a simple process of disassembling the turbo, cleaning up any poor manufacturing. while it is apart you could even change a wheel or two if you feel like it.

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave