td05 16g turbo 2002 rex - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-12-2010, 04:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

baumgartenb is an unknown
Garage
td05 16g turbo 2002 rex

I have a stage 2 wrx and the turbo is starting to go out on me. anybody have anything bad to say about putting a 16g on to my car? or wont it be a problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-12-2010, 08:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
It'd could be the end of your gears....being that your a 02. Has your car ever received a transmission replacement or upgrade? Your car could run that power and have no problems at all. It'd all depend on how you drive and handle that power.

Don't forget that a protune with injectors, fuel pump, a bigger TMIC, and a 3 port bcs. That'd maximaze the power out of your turbo and maxamize your risk for blown gears. Its up to you; a safe tune might not risk anything.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#3 Old 10-12-2010, 09:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Alright ya I was planning on getting a protune, injectors and what not...my transmission is stock and everything feels great with it...the reason I am looking at the turbo upgrade is because I believe my turbo is starting to lose power...my car is not what it used to be, even my buddies stock rex pulls on me hard. after i put my header and catless up pipe on im going to see if maybe my cat converter is shot...
#4 Old 10-13-2010, 08:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Yeah, make sure the UP cat didn't get into your turbo.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#5 Old 10-14-2010, 07:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
My cel actually just came on saying p0420 catalyst bank 1...my header and catless up hasnt come in yet, im hoping it will tomorrow morning so i can get this figured out.
#6 Old 11-27-2010, 05:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

phatmike0704 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to phatmike0704 Send a message via Yahoo to phatmike0704
well if u launch ## car and drop the clutch then the tranny would be done. i have had a big 16g for the past 20k miles and and i gun it a lot but never drop my clutch. 80k miles on stock clutch from 0 miles and still holding great. but u do need all those supporting mods, i say do 19t upgrade. i wish i went that route, real good numbers i been seeing
#7 Old 11-28-2010, 07:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
dang this is an old thread haha, umm yeah i realize that once i do get a bigger turbo i wont be able to launch like i do now...but i can probably deal with that. and is the 19t the turbo they use in volvo's?
#8 Old 11-29-2010, 01:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I have a big 16g and have been very happy with it. I provides nice, usable power for the type of streets (city and suburb) that I drive. Some of the newer turbos were not available when I changed mine, so I chose the big 16g because I wanted a quicker spool vs. extra Horsepower. At the time I did not have swaybars, endlinks, ALK, and stiffer bushings (only springs and struts) so I figured why go any bigger if I can't maximize the power I put to the ground (in turns) anyway. Now that I have swaybars, endlinks, ALK, etc. I am still quite happy with my car's overall performance AND reliability with the big 16g.

I'm sure you will make a wise choice.

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"