Subaru WRX Forum banner

TD04 oil leak.

20K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  boo-key 
#1 ·
So it seems like my turbo is leaking oil from the under side but I'm not really sure how to tackle this job.
I checked the top of the turbo and its all dry as for the bottom I see it dripping from a line but not sure where it starts. I can see it dripped on the up pipe so imust be a continuous drip.
Never messed with turbo lines so any info would be of great help.

Thanks guys!:D

#2 ·
Heres some pics of where I can see the leak is falling from, not sure if it is running down a line or not.
Also took a short video of how bad it is smoking so its a pretty decent leak. :(

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/y26218piyKM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attachments

#4 ·
I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
Wasn't sure if that was the oil feed line or the oil running down the coolant line.
I'm gonna drop the DP if I get a chance today and try to give a better look.

#5 · (Edited)
Here's a turbo diagram showing the turbo oiling. There's 2 copper gaskets at the banjo bolt (item 2) on the diagram that could be leaking.

And at the bottom there's a gasket for the oil outlet pipe (item 8) and 2 hose clamps on the oil outlet hose (item 10) that are potential sources of turbo leaks.

I've got a slight oil leak too that causes an oil burning smell just after the exhaust heats up, so I'm investigating the same thing.

I'd replace the copper gaskets on the banjo bolt first.

#7 ·
I'd just enjoy the tinkering. :) There will always be things to address depending on the age of the WRX. Used cars tend to cost less but have more issues and associated unexpected costs.

I maintain a list of things that need attention and continuously prioritize them, as follows:

1. not getting rated boost,
2. centre steering (tie rod ends),
3. replace front axle,
4. repair a/c, etc.

Reactions: mosc
#10 ·
So have a good look at the oil line today and sure enough it was leaking on the banjo bolt for the return.
It was deceiving where the leak was because it was dripping on the coolant return line and running down behind the turbo so that's why I thought it was leaking from the banjo bolt I had pictured.
Looks like a easy fix from the top.
Thanks for the replies guys.
I'll update after I swap copper washers.

#13 ·
So being I still have my old heads in the garage I just removed my old turbo oil line and swapped out the copper washers from that and no more leak. :D
I know its not a good idea to reuse them but I figured I would give it a shot and see what happened.

Reactions: mosc
#14 ·
Although I don't recommend it, you can anneal copper washers. Heat them until they are glowing hot and then quench them in water. This supposedly refreshes them. Some people argue to skip the water quenching and air cool them. I did this when I took my turbo oil feed line off the head to check for the screen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.