TBE: Cobb vs APS vs Lachute(custom) - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-28-2008, 04:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXDre is an unknown
TBE: Cobb vs APS vs Lachute(custom)

Hi everyone, I will be upgrading my 05 wrx to "stage 2" next spring, and for the last few months I've been browsing the net for a good TBE. Like the titles says I've narrowed my choices down to 3 models, APS, Cobb, and a local shop that makes custom exhausts(very good rep) all of em being 3" and catted.

I've only heard good things about all 3 models, but they all have 3 different design at the turbo end. here are some pics

APS: Name:  split_hfto.jpg
Views: 1650
Size:  31.0 KB

Cobb: Name:  BellMouthDetail.jpg
Views: 1528
Size:  31.8 KB

Lachute: (couldn't find a picture of the "bellmouth" so i made one with paint using hks model)
Name:  hks_dpipe.jpg
Views: 1306
Size:  10.0 KB

From what the people at Lachute told me their "semi bell mouth" design is just as good as a full bell mouth, since it still allows gases from the waste gate to flow down the down pipe. I would probably go for their model since their shop is 1 hour from where i live but this "bell mouth" thing is confusing me.

I'd like to hear someone else opinion. And if you ever had experience with any of those products (good or bad) please post them here.

Thanks

Dre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-28-2008, 07:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

isd_intrepid is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to isd_intrepid
IMO:
go with the cobb. or you can get the same design by invidia from rallysportdirect.com for cheaper.
In essence the bellmouth design allows for more free flowing exhaust. Somebody like MOSC or DumDum or Turmic can explain how it works. As for the diff on the cobb vs the APS. the only diff there is the APS has a divorced wastegate. which divides the flow of the exhaust. which i guess in some world would make a difference if it went to a different pipe. in this case it just goes your exhaust system. the last one. trust me. dont get it. if you take off your current DP and compare the 2 your going to be in for some heartache.
#3 Old 11-28-2008, 10:38 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I run the Cobb TBE, love the look, sound and quality of it. APS says in their directions that you have to grind the divider some to make it fit depending on turbo application. You want some type of bellmouth as it is the best flowing since there is no real "true" divorced setup out there. That lachute, if anything like your depiction, is next to being stock it looks like. The stock DP is a terrible design. I need to get a pic posted here so newer people know how bad it is, just too lazy, sorry about that.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#4 Old 11-28-2008, 10:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I've never heard of a "semi bellmouth" downpipe before. If you're going to replace your stock downpipe, your best bet is to get a full bellmouth design. None of this inbetween nonsense. There are inexpensive bellmouth downpipes out there, just search around. But if you don't mind paying for it, I'd highly recommend Cobb's downpipe. I'm a little biased though since that's what I have. A+ quality. A+ fitment. Plus, it will mate to any cat back you choose, even the stock one.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#5 Old 11-28-2008, 11:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
I love my COBB downpipe. The quality and fitment are one of the best. I just went with a reputable company since the downpipes are one of the important pieces in our exhaust system.
#6 Old 11-28-2008, 11:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Get a full bellmouth design. The 3/4 bellmouth sounds like a really stupid idea.

If you are buying on a budget get a Megan Racing DP.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
#7 Old 11-29-2008, 12:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXDre is an unknown
Thanks for you inputs guys. Here's a picture of the actual Lachute DP:

Name:  151.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  82.9 KB

About Lachute, that's where I'm going to get my car tuned. From what I've heard they're the best in my area, the shop has been around for 8-9 years. I thought their "semi-bell mouth" design might work as good as a "full bell mouth". The owner of the shop showed me where the turbo end of the down pipe would meet with the turbo on a VF-39. It covers about half the waste gate, so the gas doesn't hit a wall like the stock unit, instead it goes down the down pipe. He also told me that the waste gate doesn't have to open all the way, meaning the difference between their design and a bell mouth isn't much different in terms of power gains since they both allow gases from the waste gate to flow in the down pipe.

I've just found out that the APS and Cobb use cast iron at the turbo end of the down pipe. Is that something i should consider in my choice?

One more thing, will a divorced bell mouth help reduce turbulence in the exhaust flow between turbine/waste gate? Or would that just be the case with a divorced down pipe.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Dre
#8 Old 11-29-2008, 12:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXDre View Post
TI thought their "semi-bell mouth" design might work as good as a "full bell mouth". The owner of the shop showed me where the turbo end of the down pipe would meet with the turbo on a VF-39. It covers about half the waste gate

One more thing, will a divorced bell mouth help reduce turbulence in the exhaust flow between turbine/waste gate? Or would that just be the case with a divorced down pipe.
Since you brought up the question about the turbulence in the exhaust flow what do you think that covering half of the wastegate will do in terms of the turbulence? That is just a terrible idea.

The divorced WG is a better design in theory but you will run into problems with some of them hitting the WG on an aftermarket turbo. The best divorced DP I have seen is the one that Element Tuning came out with followed by BPM. Both of them have the WG reentering the exhaust flow way down stream to keep the turbulence at a minimum.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
#9 Old 11-29-2008, 12:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRX_Fan_0717 is an unknown
Is it me or does the Lachute looks like for EWG applications?

Semi or divorced DP are just not as proven as a full Bellmouth. Well divorced in theory (turbulence) are suppose to be better but i'll take my bellmouth.

I would get the full 4" TXS DP personally. Cheap and effective. Plus, switch out the car anytime you want in 10 minutes (track etc). Get the stealthback and like a full 3" non fart can axleback.

Meth'd, EWG'd, Str8 Cut PPG'd, 20G'd Bug-i, 354awhp and 315tq SAE 5 Corrected 50/50 meth @ 19-20psi.
#10 Old 11-29-2008, 01:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

isd_intrepid is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to isd_intrepid
if you think the shop is going to give you what you need. go with them. and when your done. I'll be happy to match off with you.
#11 Old 11-30-2008, 09:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXDre is an unknown
MadDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_Fan_0717 View Post
Get the stealthback and like a full 3" non fart can axleback.
That's what I'm planning on getting. I don't want the extra attention from a loud exhaust, I'm just looking for a deep rumble without going overboard.

I also found a fully divorced waste gate down pipe from MadDad that looks really neat. Heard a lot of good comments over at the NASIOC forums. From what I've heard, it might just be what I'm looking for in terms of sound. (and no droning sound at any rpm!) I'd just like to see if any of you guys have had experience with that system or know people that have it. Or just general thoughts on the down pipe.

Here are some pics:

Down pipe:
Name:  MadDad DP.gif
Views: 2100
Size:  44.4 KB
The cat looking thing at the end of the DP is actually a guard to prevent damage to the 02 sensor.

Cat-back:
Name:  maddad cb.jpeg
Views: 1206
Size:  14.2 KB
There's a flex joint at the end of the mid-pipe, never seen that before. Good? Bad?

Cat-back Twin-tip:
Name:  maddad cb1.jpeg
Views: 1189
Size:  23.3 KB
#12 Old 11-30-2008, 09:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

Maddad is an excellent choice.
That flex pipe means they company actually thought about long term durability and less chance of cracking a tubular header ......i would say GOOD.

Top notch crap.

Meth'd, EWG'd, Str8 Cut PPG'd, 20G'd Bug-i, 354awhp and 315tq SAE 5 Corrected 50/50 meth @ 19-20psi.
#13 Old 11-30-2008, 09:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Here's mine:

Notice anything outrageously big......no you don't. Clean is what i notice.
It's a WBR (black can model) full 3" looks kinda like the OE STi can but a tad bigger. Running it with the TXS EWG UpPipe/TurboBack.
Suppose to be as quiet as say the maddad but it's a little loud from me being catless.

#14 Old 11-30-2008, 10:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

You can here it at the beginning of this video:
When it gets really loud it's the EWG opening not the exhaust.

My Blouch 20g'd EWG'd PPG'd Meth Injected 02 WRX o- Video

#15 Old 11-30-2008, 11:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_Fan_0717 View Post
Here's mine:

Notice anything outrageously big......no you don't. Clean is what i notice.
Yup, squeaky clean.

I like the shaved keyhole and is that an STi limited spoiler? You, sir, have excellent taste.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)