TBE or CB exhaust? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 09-04-2013, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

midrees is an unknown
TBE or CB exhaust?

Hello guys, I am a newbie to Subaru's. I just purchased an 04 WRX three months ago and i have done some research but i want some clear answers on a exhaust. So I am living in Ontario, Canada and I would like to get an exhaust for performance purposes and the boxer growl So I am not quite sure which exhaust to get.

First off i would prefer a TBE to gain max HP gain, but at the same time i am worried would i be able to pass emissions in Ontario? Secondly i am interested in a exhaust like COBB. I want something that isn't too loud and it only gets really loud when i step on it. There are probably other better/cheaper exhausts then cobb so if anyone can chime in it will be perfect. I seen a youtube video of the cobb exhaust i really liked it, it wasn't extremely loud and the muffler tip wasn't enormous (that's another thing, i don't want a huge muffler tip)

So if anyone can post suggestions on an exhaust that i should get would be nice. Also i believe the TBE needs to have a high flow cat. On a side note after i install the exhaust would i need to reset the ECU or any other thing?

Lastly I am also interested in an Up pipe and down pipe. So if someone can give me suggestions on which setup will be perfect bang for the buck. (I am not looking to spend $1000 on an exhaust but if it includes everything it's an option i would consider. Also if anyone is selling a used exhaust, pm me

Thank you everyone in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-04-2013, 11:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I run a modified Cobb exhaust but, a DP is included in a TBE. The UP would be separate, but a good suggestion.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #3 of 3 Old 09-05-2013, 06:23 AM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by midrees View Post
First off i would prefer a TBE to gain max HP gain, but at the same time i am worried would i be able to pass emissions in Ontario? Secondly i am interested in a exhaust like COBB. I want something that isn't too loud and it only gets really loud when i step on it. There are probably other better/cheaper exhausts then cobb so if anyone can chime in it will be perfect. I seen a youtube video of the cobb exhaust i really liked it, it wasn't extremely loud and the muffler tip wasn't enormous (that's another thing, i don't want a huge muffler tip)

So if anyone can post suggestions on an exhaust that i should get would be nice. Also i believe the TBE needs to have a high flow cat. On a side note after i install the exhaust would i need to reset the ECU or any other thing?

Lastly I am also interested in an Up pipe and down pipe. So if someone can give me suggestions on which setup will be perfect bang for the buck. (I am not looking to spend $1000 on an exhaust but if it includes everything it's an option i would consider. Also if anyone is selling a used exhaust, pm me

Thank you everyone in advance!
If you get a TBE you need to have the car tuned, common and easiest is the Cobb access port. The access port has pre-loaded generalized tunes for simple mods like a TBE. Another option is a protune which would be taking the car to a professional tuning shop and having them tune on a dyno with possibly a finalizing street tune. A protune will be the more recommended way. You can get the AP and run a base map and is perfectly safe, but getting a protune should be the end goal in the long term. You can also get an AP (access port) and go to a Cobb friendly tune shop and they can put the tunes created on the AP so you can switch to different tunes that the shop creates that are taylored just for your car. If you don't live near a tune shop you can go on to Cobb's site and find a decent tune shop that can adjust a base map to your car with data log information, which is called etune. The etune requires an AP. Those are a few of the options for right now.

CBE you don't need to do anything with the ECU, all it really does is livens up the sound. Install and enjoy the sound!

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ