switch factory boost gauge with Autometer gauge? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 02-26-2006, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

newbe02WRX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to newbe02WRX
switch factory boost gauge with Autometer gauge?

Hey guys,
i have an 02 WRX that has the factory boost gauge on the steering column. My buddy just gave me an Autometer Phantom series mechanical boost gauge. My question is can i just switch the 2 gauges and use all the same connections? I am pretty sure that the factory gauge is mechanical so this should be a simple switch right? Any info will be helpful. Thanks.
L.J.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-26-2006, 11:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

sborderz is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to sborderz
Sorry I can't answer, but I will second your question. I have the same situation going on. Can one of the smart people help us out?
post #3 of 9 Old 02-27-2006, 01:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

BiggSean is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to BiggSean Send a message via Yahoo to BiggSean
More than likely you can make use of the same vacuum line, however I have no clue if that gauge will fit in your stock bezel. To be quite honest, I would sell that gauge on ebay or something and save your money and get an electronic gauge. Mechanical gauges are notoriously innacurate and you owe it to yourself to get a quality gauge if you are going to get serious about modding your car. I personally use and HIGHLY recommend the defi-link series of gauges. They are VERY expensive though. I paid around $500 for a boost gauge, EGT gauge and the controller. That being said, they are worth every penny I paid and I don't regret the purchase one bit.

- Sean
- 2005 WRX Wagon, Stage 2
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
post #4 of 9 Old 02-27-2006, 01:42 AM
WRXpert

bigbadbuddha is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to bigbadbuddha Send a message via MSN to bigbadbuddha
+1 on that... Defi rock.... If you are price conscious then Autometer guages aren't bad.. I do agree with Biggsean that invest in a electronic boost guage with vacuum, and at least an EGT guage.

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
post #5 of 9 Old 02-27-2006, 11:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

Black Night is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Black Night
yes u can use all the same connections, i juss did this mod about 3 deys ago...all u need is a wire clamp for the hose to be adapted to the nylon hose that autometer gives you...just sum advice, the nylon hose that they give u is very crappy and breaks easy, so try not to bend it...and as far as the electrical work goes its just matching up the ground and the power, simple
post #6 of 9 Old 02-27-2006, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

newbe02WRX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to newbe02WRX
BiggSean i know that i can't use the stock bezel as the Autometer gauge is bigger. I am planning on getting a single gauge steering wheel pod to mount the gauge in. The Autometer gauge was given to me for free and i use Autometer gauges in my 66 Chevy Pick up and 80 Malibu drag car so i do trust them and the price was right. I do have plans for the future sometime of adding an EGT gauge and air fuel gauge so when i get some extra money saved maybe i'll switch to the defi gauges.

Black Knight what do you mean by a wire clamp for the hose to adapt to the nylon autometer hose? Is it a rubber hose that the factory gauge has? I can't just use whatever the stock gaige uses? Or is it rubber and it has to go into the nylon tube of the autometer gauge?
post #7 of 9 Old 02-28-2006, 02:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
If you got the hose from AutoMeter, just use it. As long as you don't kink it, you'll be straight. I'd run the new hose instead of trying to mess around with the factory hose, unless it'll fit. Just use the existing power/ground wires and you should be good to go.

Also, to save you from wasting money. Don't buy an a/f gauge, get a wideband instead. An EGT would be good as well.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)

Last edited by 9d2TSi; 03-08-2006 at 02:03 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-08-2006, 01:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

DEMENTED is an unknown
make sure there arent kinks in the line
post #9 of 9 Old 03-08-2006, 04:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

04caliwrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to 04caliwrx
i think you should be ok! i have a auto meter in my car and it does fine! but i really do not know it it will work with the stock wires!