Stupid Prosport galley plug - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-24-2011, 11:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ridge10 is an unknown
Garage
Stupid Prosport galley plug

I bought a remote oil sender kit for my 2002, and I made sure it was the right kit, but the galley plug DOES NOT FIT for the life of me. I tried not to force it, it wouldnt even seat in the threads. And then I went to go put my original galley plug back on. Nope. It started to cross thread. So after I almost cried, I left and took a shower to clear my head... Now I am in a pickle. The galley I got was not tapered, which I thought it would be for some reason, but its not. I could ether moddify my new galley by grinding it and fixing the threads by hand to make it tapered (probs wont work, but worth a try), cross threading my original on and use alot of thread selant or some other strong stuff, or ...I dont know.... !Cry!

-Derek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-25-2011, 08:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
I wouldn't use it. They aren't known to be solid pieces and a bad one can cause an engine failure if not caught in time.
#3 Old 07-25-2011, 09:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ridge10 is an unknown
Garage
So how do I install my oil pressure gauge?

I got the original back on though, I used a pick to clean up the thread.

And do you think it was just a bad fitting? They sell thousands of the same plugs...yet mine didnt fit...

-Derek
#4 Old 07-26-2011, 03:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I was going through some boxes in my garage and came across a plug with the correct threads and a hole for the gauge if you want it.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#5 Old 07-27-2011, 01:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I believe there are two galley plugs that you could use - one located on top of the block under the tmic (that's the one I used for mine) and another one near the alternator. I'd leave that first plug alone if you're confident you got it back in place and try the second location. It might also be a good idea to pick up another aftermarket plug and see if it fits any better than the one you have. Oh, and screw gently

John
07 WRX
#6 Old 07-27-2011, 02:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Oh, and screw gently
That's what she said...

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#7 Old 07-27-2011, 07:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
^ YES! I was waiting for that one

John
07 WRX
#8 Old 07-28-2011, 12:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ridge10 is an unknown
Garage
Will do lol.

-Derek
#9 Old 07-28-2011, 04:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You could also try a sandwich adapter on your oil filter. It's got two bungs so you could hook up an oil temp gauge as well.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#10 Old 07-28-2011, 05:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

The Prosport oil filter sandwich adapter actually has four bungs. Unfortunately, I didn't see the fitment disclaimer on Prosport's website since I was in such a hurry to hook up my gauges and found out the hard way that it wasn't designed for 06/07 WRXs (only 02-05 WRXs), so I cut my losses and sold it on eBay for $20.00 with free shipping. It was $35.00 brand new.

John
07 WRX
#11 Old 07-28-2011, 09:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
What is the difference in the MYs? Beyond the 06-07s have a silly ass designed headers and oil pan. Isn't the oil filter the same size?

Kirt
#12 Old 07-29-2011, 09:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah, the oil filter is exactly the same. I believe the cast parts on either end of the stock headers are the same as well - the difference is in the crosspipe (I compared an 02-05 and 06-07 crosspipe side by side and, sure enough, the bend and angles of the flanges are slightly different)... and, like you said, the oil pan is also different. Not really sure why they changed those parts and I'm actually curious to know. It seems like it's mostly just an engineering tweak and not something super serious. Maybe it has something to do with the larger displacement engine (2.5 vs. 2.0)? Although, I would think that's mostly an internal change. Anybody know?

John
07 WRX
#13 Old 07-29-2011, 12:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ridge10 is an unknown
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk05WRX View Post
You could also try a sandwich adapter on your oil filter. It's got two bungs so you could hook up an oil temp gauge as well.
I read a lot about them failing. Thats why I didnt go that route. Did you use the sandwich adapter?

-Derek
#14 Old 07-29-2011, 05:27 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
They are/were changed because of the displacement. More moving air, a little bit "better" design supposedly.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#15 Old 07-29-2011, 07:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Its kind of a stupid reason though. The STI is the same displacement and uses....what most people consider the best oil pan set-up and the headers don't get in the way.

Kirt