Street legal exhaust? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-01-2005, 10:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

sublime00311 is an unknown
Street legal exhaust?

Im at a loss iv'e been searching some of the past threads here and some of the FAQ's and im not really finding what im looking for..i just got my 04 WRX this past saturday..and im trying to gather info on some mods..and ive come across some really good info..but then i get stuck at the exhaust! i live in california and i want to mod it(exhaust)..but i want it to be legal..but i dont want to be "that guy" whose cars loud but doesnt live up to the noise..can anyone PLEASE tell me what exhaust system i can get..or modifications i can do to my exhaust as a whole to increase performance..without running a chance of failing emissions testing???? *im not looking for HUGE increases in power yet..but more so a good start*

thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-02-2005, 02:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

stileguy is an unknown
the only sure way is to get one custom made. it wont be cheap, you said outright power is not your objective. get a cat free 2' up-pipe, 3inch down pipe with the smallest 3' cat you can find then to a 4 inch "magic cat" as soon as space permits as close to the front of the car as possible as heat is what activates the catalyst then to a 3' straight through muffler and step down to 2.5inch pipe using a cone style adaptor which steps down at a rate of no more than 20degrees then past the diff to another straight through muffler with the biggest muffler volume you can find, this will allow you to pass emmissions and a noise test. get the pipes coated inside and out and should flow enough for 350-380hp at the flywheel. you will flog much noisier cars and be street legal, go for the ultimate sleeper
#3 Old 11-02-2005, 09:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

sublime00311 is an unknown
THANK GOD ...you have no idea how much i appreciate the info..ive been obsessed with this exhaust dilemma for a few days..well now i can start shoppin around finally..thanks bro..that was a big help
#4 Old 11-02-2005, 03:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

stileguy is an unknown
in australia you can walk down the street to any exhaust shop and they can do one for you for less than you pay for bolt-ons so most exhaust guys are pretty good if you tell them what you want, dunno bout people in the states doin that, i think its just easier for shops to sell bolt-ons, good luck.
#5 Old 11-04-2005, 11:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

DEMENTED is an unknown
the greddy evo2 exhaust seems to be the next quietest exhaust compared to stock.
#6 Old 11-04-2005, 12:23 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
I hope you guys know the only TRUE legal exhaust is a catback. Anything that effects the catalatic converters is illegal. In order to replace it, if it's a newer car (don't remember the year, but ours are only like 4 years old), then it must be proven defective or damaged before it can be replaced.

The key is that places don't care enough. Emissions testing is the extent to most of their care. If it's clean and not over noise ordinace, they'll pass you.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#7 Old 11-04-2005, 12:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

absolutexk is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to absolutexk
get a bosal downpipe, keep the mid cat if u're worried about emissions and get a greddy evo 2 cat back, its quiet and wont attract attention.. the greddy evo 2 is rated as the loudest LEGALLY
#8 Old 11-06-2005, 04:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

awd>fwd is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to awd>fwd
[QUOTE=Vew]I hope you guys know the only TRUE legal exhaust is a catback. Anything that effects the catalatic converters is illegal. In order to replace it, if it's a newer car (don't remember the year, but ours are only like 4 years old), then it must be proven defective or damaged before it can be replaced.
QUOTE]
So you just gotta puncture your cat before you replace it, easy fix.

Brent
2007 Satin White STi, 1989 Nissan Sil-Coupe, 1998 Toyota 4runner (to be built..)...