strange whine sound - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-15-2010, 09:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
strange whine sound

ok so just a quick run down... wasnt driving hard or anything like that, just outta the blue started hearing this strange whine sound. from inside the car it sounds like it is coming from behind the air con. controls. but from under the hood, facing the engine sounds like just above /behind the timing belt cover:eek:. the car is all stock, it is due for an oil change it is on mobile 1 full synthetic. car has 132XXX miles on it i have no idea if the t belt has been done yet(im the third owner i think) but thats my guess. anyone ever have this type of sound before?? please let me know if anyone has ideas...i drive 20+ miles to work so i really dont want to get out on the highway and have her take a giant poop on me. but i dont really have other transport at this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-15-2010, 09:27 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
First whine I got on my car was the AC tensioning pulley. It started to sound like a space ship, and different revs didn't really affect it. I'd check there first.
#3 Old 06-15-2010, 10:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

awesome! ill check it first thing in the morning! thx!!
#4 Old 06-16-2010, 03:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

03sonicyWrX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to 03sonicyWrX
Yepp, ac pulley went bad on me as well and i had quite a bit of whine, If it is affected by how high you rev the car check your intercooler piping. Good luck
#5 Old 06-16-2010, 06:08 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Good point. I had that noise too ! Mine was more of a whistle from under there. If that's the case, it can get worse and the car will run poorly, as you'll start sucking in un-metered air. You won't get that noise at idle, like you will from the idler pulley. Easiest way to check the pulley is to give it a short spray of WD or PB blaster while it's running and see if the noise goes away temporarily. Idler pulley w/bearing is under $30, easy fix.
#6 Old 06-24-2010, 12:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

awesome thanks for the advice. still havent done anything with it yet...($ just a bit tight right now) the performance hasnt been affected or hasnt seemed to, although i have been babying her around as i dont like to drive hard with a sick car. i have an inquiry in at the ONLY subaru dealership here in tulsa...stupid... would like more of a choice on who i deal with. dont care for them very much. so i should be getting a call back with pricing for the part. but i will def check the bearing with some wd before i buy a new one. thanks again for the responses. ill post back when i get her all fixed up
#7 Old 06-29-2010, 08:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

alright, well i pulled the tensioning pulley and belt off, and found out that its not the tensioning pulley making noise, its the comressor, or the ac clutch. its the bearing in that cause i can turn it by hand and get the same sound, to a lesser degree. oh joy. looks like ill be rolling with no ac for the rest of the summer. ha ha thinking im just gonna yank the belt and call it good for now, cause i did start it while i had the belt off and sound completely went away with no belt on there. oh and btw...put some WD on both with no effect at all. well if anyone knows anything that is significant about it just let me know. (like a decent website for rebuilt ones, etc...) thanks again for the answers.
#8 Old 06-29-2010, 08:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

oh! wanted to say that with the belt on, the ac still works very well, and when i turn it on that sound goes away. very strange...
#9 Old 06-29-2010, 09:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Hahaha.. believe it or not, I tried turning my A/C on the other day and I have this extremely horrible squealing sound too. I'm pretty sure my A/C pulley has gone bad as well. Guess I'll be replacing mine soon too. Wonder how much that'll cost me...

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#10 Old 06-29-2010, 11:22 AM

To possibly avoid replacing the AC compressor, I'd throw a can of AC oil charge into the system, so that the AC clutch is happier for a while.
#11 Old 06-29-2010, 11:29 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Or take it out, thats why cars have windows. And then you can hear the beautiful sounds the car makes I honestly dont use my AC much but that is a personal preference I know.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#12 Old 06-29-2010, 11:41 AM

You must still be young Joshua, I can't imagine summer in Kansas without AC Mine's a little weak right now, so I just use it on the highway, plus with the EJ205 you really notice how much power it robs your motor of, especially on takeoff. Turning the AC off at traffic lights is what we call "poor man's boost control"
#13 Old 06-29-2010, 12:00 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Lol. Im 27, I have been stationed in Lousianna also and seldom used it (took it out of my focus when I swapped the V8 in). I just like my windows down, but I have started using it more with the kids with me. Like you said I dont like having my power "taken" from me.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#14 Old 06-29-2010, 03:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

yeah thats kinda my boat too, i have a six month old that tends to get a little fussy when he gets hot. and i hear ya bout the summers in kansas...its about the same here in oklahoma. but yeah im very seriously considering just taking the belt off and doin windows. but its still a little early in the summer to say that so liberally ha ha ha. i guess ill see how long it lasts!
#15 Old 06-29-2010, 03:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If it's over 75 I'm hitting the A/C button. One of the joys of having a black car. That, and swirl marks.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback