Subaru WRX Forum banner

Straight pipe from downpipe back? anyone done it??

24K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  ericcraz 
#1 ·
so im looking to just straightpipe my 03 wrx. to cheap to afford a kit. already have nameless catless uppipe divorced wastegaste catless downpipe bolted to stock post cat and midpipe back to a 2.5' axleback.. all came on the car when i got it looking to just straightpipe that whole midpipe section and weld in my own Apexi tip i got kicking around. my worries are the los of flex i might my creating with deleting basicly all the flanges.. was gunna keep the downpipe flange set as to keep clean when i can afford a 3" kit but the rest just straight back basicly i have a bender at my shop to do the axle bends so what does everyone think???

#29 ·
I used to weld up test pipes in shop class, I was never the best welder there but they held well enough. We used straight pipes from the local parts store so it was affordable even on a high school students budget. pipes come as cheap as $20 for 3 inch piping, If you have a turbo flange and a welder you are more than halfway there. To keep it from getting too loud you might want to add a resonator to your setup but thats your call.

I may have outgrown it but I don't really like the crazy loud exhaust setups any more. I like the unrefined tone but the volume or a test pipe is more than I can handle for extended periods

#30 ·
They have a welder at my job so I'm good there.
The easy swap out for the axel back is the way I'll probably go as well Boo.
I hear some subies with straight pipes and they sound bada$$.

Im not too worried about what my neighbors think, I'm sure it cant be any louder than it already is with the HKS on. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.