Subaru WRX Forum banner

Straight pipe from downpipe back? anyone done it??

24K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  ericcraz 
#1 ·
so im looking to just straightpipe my 03 wrx. to cheap to afford a kit. already have nameless catless uppipe divorced wastegaste catless downpipe bolted to stock post cat and midpipe back to a 2.5' axleback.. all came on the car when i got it looking to just straightpipe that whole midpipe section and weld in my own Apexi tip i got kicking around. my worries are the los of flex i might my creating with deleting basicly all the flanges.. was gunna keep the downpipe flange set as to keep clean when i can afford a 3" kit but the rest just straight back basicly i have a bender at my shop to do the axle bends so what does everyone think???

#4 ·
Makes children cry!!! I love that. That settles it definitely gunna do it then if to loud I have a high flow cat I could throw in the mix. I have a 7yr old boy and 2yr old girl that love daddies loud cars so if I can make them cry I def know it's too loud...... Either that or finally get some headers and see if glass breaks. Ill post pics on install and have the wifey take a video to post

#12 ·
My car is straight piped, turboback 3in with 4in peice of straight pipe as a tip with no resonators or cats or mufflers. It's loud, but it sounds good, you can hear the turbo spooling like crazy. I love it but to some people it's abraisive, don't plan on taking highway trips, unless you listen to your music extreme loud like I do...

Edit: Damnit 5/29... Sorry for bringing bAck the dead... Maybe someone will get some value out if this post someday...

#13 ·
Funny there was just another topic about this recently. I'm piped, sounds good, its bearable on highways, my 18 month old has been dealing with it for the last 8 months and doesn't seem to mind it.

I don't get much of the turbo spool sound for some reason, i've heard other turbo back straight piped wrx's and they seems to be more prominent. I definitely heard it when i ran an open downpipe the day i took it in to the shop to have the catback portion made though, it sounded mean at low rpm, higher it was obnoxious and my cabin was filled with exhaust odor, not recommended.

#14 ·
If you have any cats or even sharp bends it will lose some spool sound and noise... I still have my stock upipe... I am also tuned for stage 2 with opensource so my car spools quicker than a stock car does... Maybe it's in the tune

It could also be the fact that you've got a 2.5l motor and the 08+ cars exhaust systems are different then the pre-08 cars (mines a 2.0l 2005 wrx)

#15 ·
I'm completely catless and no resonators 3 inch piping from turbo down to the splitter, on a torqued performance stage 2 tune. My exhaust does have a Y pipe that splits it into two 2.5in tail pipes, each of those have about a 110-120 degree angles in the pipes.

Whatever the reason, I'm happy with the sound of them, haven't had any trouble with cops yet, that include driving around a big military post with a load of super strict MP's. Maybe i've gotten lucky, because i've been pulled over for speeding a couple times here and nothing was said about the exhaust.

My buddy had (car got wrecked because of a drunk driver causing a light pole to fall right in front of him on a interstate) a 05 sti with a catless blitz nur spec exhaust, that thing was much louder than my straight pipes, and he got several tickets for it, it was built though with a giant turbo (not sure what size, but it was huge), bored cylinders, 1000cc injectors, pistons, rods, valves, coilovers, speed density tuned, the works, really miss that car, it was a monster. :(

#20 ·
I actually have a video but I am running a cobb dp and then a strait 3'' muffler delete. Honestly I'm not Raspy at all, only on warm up it is raspy but once it is warm, little or none.
I love my strait but if you don't like it do be really loud, then don't run it, or make sure you have very good speakers and bass to knock it down inside

#27 ·
I was thinkin bout goin SP just to test it out.

Anyone ever do SP on a budget, like get the material themselves, weld flanges, ya know.

If so how many sections did you make and what was the wallet damage?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.