Subaru WRX Forum banner

stock turbo and hp tq q's

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  05WRXRally 
#1 ·
How much can i adjust my stock turbo...and what is the stock hp/tq or my 02 wrx complete stock. i hit 1.0 Mpa which i think is 14.5 psi i think...but i heard the stock motor can hold up to 400hp

#3 ·
Again with the "we americans are too stupid to use metric correctly" stuff. 1.0MPa is huge. It comes out to 145 PSI. I doubt you mean that. I think you mean 0.1 MPA... while we're on the subject of units, 400hp is a very nebulous term. Do you mean at the flywheel? Wheel HP? Adjusted Wheel HP? Measured on a Dynajet or a Mustang dyno or something else? Seriously, I'd love to help you but you've told me about as much information as "DOOD I want my car to go FAST!!!". Please take some time to learn what the turbo pressure actually DOES and why it's significant. Also, what HP really corresponds to and what it doesn't. Before spending money on your car, you might want to spend money on the driver. Buy some books or at least spend some time researching it. I'm not trying to be a jerk but you're not asking the right questions. Trying to increase the power of your car when you understand so little about it is not only foolish, it's dangerous. Also, unless you're made of money, it can be very expensive!

The stock motor handles about 350whp. That's about 500hp at the flywheel assuming 30% losses. This generally requires a large turbo though that is fairly laggy and unresponsive for general driving. A more realistic number to shoot for in the EJ20 powered WRX is 300whp (400 at the flywheel give or take) which can be done with many more reasonable sized turbos.

The stock turbo ain't going to get you anywhere near those numbers. It tops out at about 16-17 PSI (0.11 - 0.115 MPa). On most cars that works out to 220-240whp on a dyno where the stock is about 165whp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.