stock sti vs stock wrx exhaust - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-18-2008, 08:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk02wrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to blk02wrx
stock sti vs stock wrx exhaust

i am looking into getting a stock sti exhaust for my wrx and from what i have found the stock wrx piping is 2.25'' and the sti is 2.50'' which i wouldn't see making any gains but i would think it would give it a bit nicer sound which is all i'm relly looking for. would i be right about this? and would anybody have a stock sti catback they would be willing to sell thats in good shape?

O2 PEARL BLACK WAGON with some modds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-18-2008, 09:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
It's going to be a bit louder, how ever I don't think its really worth it unless you really want a quiet exhaust, I mean if you think about it the size difference is minimal which would most likely create a minimal sound difference, As well as I would imagine any performance gains would be minimal, If money isn't to much of a issue I got the COBB cat back exhaust and its not really to loud even with the catless down/up pipe (catted catback thinking about removing the cat to make it a bit louder) but all and all its not to loud and its supposedly one of the better exhausts out there and you get a decent size gain, 3 inch piping 3 inch tip I believe.

For the most part I would think the sti exhaust will be slightly throatier but I would think it'd not be very noticeable, Also if your going to spend the money on a used sti exhaust I would try to save up and invest in a used aftermarket exhaust or a new one.

Dream Evil
#3 Old 11-18-2008, 10:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
I've never really heard a stock WRX exhaust honestly. I'm running an STI Catback with Invida DP and Unequal headers, and the aftermarket pieces may contribute a little, but I love how mine sounds. It's definately not loud though. Just kind of conservatively agressive, if that makes sense. You can really hear a nice low growl in the 3-4k range. So from what I can tell, I like the sound of the STI catback.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#4 Old 11-19-2008, 07:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

blk02wrx is an unknown
well it might end up being free as i might get the full turbo back for around $120 and as i don't need the downpipe and i will remove the cat in the mid pipe i can take them to the crushers and i will get almost $50 each for them so it's a good trade off i would think. and i like how my wrx sounds now with the invidia down and up pip i just want it a bit louder but not much louder and i want the single tip.

i don't need the cops harasing me and around here even if you are under the legal limit they stop you and try and get you for somthing.

oh also will a stock exhaust from a 06 sti fit my 02 wagon? and thanks for the feedback

#5 Old 11-19-2008, 09:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Yah its what ever you like, Personally I find my cobb cbe not to be awfully loud, louder then stock yes, but in comparison to other exhausts like my friends blitz exhaust it sounds stock and silent lol. Doesn't draw to much attention either which is a good thing IMO but yeah its what ever you want to do if your minds set p the sti exhaust theres nothing wrong with it I was underneath the impression you might be spending a decent bit of money on it which in that case I'd suggest getting something a little more free flowing.

Dream Evil
#6 Old 11-19-2008, 10:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
i would not crush your stock exhaust pipes... I keep mine in the garage so i can put them back on when smog time comes around.
#7 Old 11-19-2008, 10:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

Strider327 is on thin ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk02wrx View Post
well it might end up being free as i might get the full turbo back for around $120 and as i don't need the downpipe and i will remove the cat in the mid pipe i can take them to the crushers and i will get almost $50 each for them so it's a good trade off i would think. and i like how my wrx sounds now with the invidia down and up pip i just want it a bit louder but not much louder and i want the single tip.

i don't need the cops harasing me and around here even if you are under the legal limit they stop you and try and get you for somthing.

oh also will a stock exhaust from a 06 sti fit my 02 wagon? and thanks for the feedback
YouTube - Testing my WRX
Stock STI Axle back+ stock midpipe

YouTube - Stealth Exhaust WRX
Maddad 3 inch midpipe+Scoobysport Axle back 2.5
#8 Old 11-19-2008, 11:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

seanwrxwagon is more helpful than not
I sold my stock dp for $100 on my local forum. If you sell the dp and midpipe both you should make more than the $100 you could get from the crushers while helping someone go back to stock.
#9 Old 11-19-2008, 12:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
Why sell the exhaust pieces when you need them later to pass smog? Just keep them in your garage and when the time comes put them back on the car. It will be a hassle to sell it and then later on try to find the stock pieces again.
#10 Old 11-19-2008, 08:38 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Not everyone needs them again for smog. Only other reason is if you were returning to stock to sell or trade.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#11 Old 11-19-2008, 10:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk02wrx is an unknown
i don't need them for smog as we don't have that here and with the sti stock catback i don't think i'll need to go back to stock.

#12 Old 11-20-2008, 09:54 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Then either sell them or crush them if you want. Just dont drop them in the trash if you can get some cash for them.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"