stock muffler - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-20-2003, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
vee
WRXtuners Member

vee is an unknown
stock muffler

If I were to upgrade my exhaust to a full header back and keep the stock muffler, will I regret it? How much performance will I loose, will it sound weak? Also, is there a gauge that I can buy that fits into the stock pod ( on steering colum ) and reads in psi.

Thanx
VEE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-20-2003, 10:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

CHICOWRX is an unknown
just keep the stock!! (guage)
do some math sorry i don't know the exact conversion
but 1.5 is right around 16 psi
i think don't hold me to that
i heard of this debate befor
even wanted to change the one i had
many....told me to keep it
post #3 of 9 Old 08-20-2003, 10:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

CHICOWRX is an unknown
1 BAR = 14.5psi or 14.508psi

THERE!!!!!
this was on a vivid forum
post #4 of 9 Old 08-20-2003, 11:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

V8killer is an unknown
Really with the stock one, they've been off alot. My friends was way off. So if your serious i would buy an aftermarket one, my two cents...
post #5 of 9 Old 08-21-2003, 07:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to BlueDemon
1 Bar is actually 14.7 psi

Blue
post #6 of 9 Old 08-21-2003, 08:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Yeah, get rid of the stock gauge. Greddy makes one that reads in PSI and should fit the stock pod.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-01-2003, 11:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

TKOPerf is an unknown
The stock muffler only costs you around 5hp. If you like the way it sounds stay with it.

The stock gauge doesn't read in Bars. It reads in milipascals. I wouldn't bother replacing it. You can still use it as a means to gauge boost improvements if you plan to use an adjustable boost controler.

Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
post #8 of 9 Old 09-02-2003, 08:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
If you plan on raising boost, DEFINATELY replace the stock gauge. It is extremely inaccurate. The worst thing is that some read high, and some read low, so there is no easy way to figure out how far off yours is.

Oh, and by the way, it reads Megapascals, not millipascals. And, for those of you who are interested, here is a program that will convert Mpa to psi, and convert pretty much anything else you need to convert (right click, save as...)

Conversion Program
post #9 of 9 Old 09-02-2003, 11:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful
yes yes to Cosmo

Nix that stock boost gauge...

i'm not even sure why i spent the dough for it in first place... its definitely not accurate, especially once the boost is increased, not to mention it is too tiny to see and has terrible night lighting in my opinion.

And the trouble of it is, i wanted the boost to remain on the steering column, and so i bought a 52mm aftermarket gauge and attempted to jam it into that little rubber gauge pod. Well, guess what, forget it. No way in heck that thing will fit. i tried eveything, lubing it, stretchin' it, no way it will fit.

Searched for days for something better that was steering column capable... Here it is... all for a lousy $13... get the carbon fiber one if you like for $40, they both look nice...

summit racing... search for key word "gauge cup".
could not find anyone else that sells this generic item... i'm sure someone must though, but summit has good prices and quick shipping, so no need to go any further...

i have photo in the gallery of my gauges. you can't see the cup that the gauge is in too well... but its there, in black... and much easier to read with larger gauge, better lighting, and more visible to onlookers... (does not overlap any of the tach range either... view is right inbetween 1000 rpm and 8000rpm, just right!)