Stock intercooler - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-28-2008, 09:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

pjccjc2 is an unknown
Stock intercooler

Hey guys whats going on. I am debating getting a uppipe and samco intercooler hoses and intake pipe. I hear the stock i/c is pretty good for the stock turbo. should i really waste the money and replace it? Anyone with dyno numbers or facts to help me out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-28-2008, 09:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I would just stick with the stock TMIC for now until it is time to upgrade to a bigger one, from what I have seen personally they seem to do pretty good for even upgraded turbos. Brooksville, FL I have an Aunt and Uncle that live there, they both worked for the Polk County Sheriff's Department, use to be a real nice area, of course it's been 14yrs since I was there last.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#3 Old 01-28-2008, 11:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

VanillaJuice is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to VanillaJuice
my stock intercooler was CRAP...it was ALWAYS hot...and boost would always suffer the longer i drove.....i gotta ssautochrome TMIC...its always cool to the touch.....and i get much more consistant boost levels now..helped with flow too....
stock turbo***

Opensource tune by CAMTuning.com
Parts from Jeremy at Crucial Racing
#4 Old 01-29-2008, 10:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

Strider327 is on thin ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaJuice View Post
my stock intercooler was CRAP...it was ALWAYS hot...and boost would always suffer the longer i drove.....i gotta ssautochrome TMIC...its always cool to the touch.....and i get much more consistant boost levels now..helped with flow too....
stock turbo***
So true! I just got the STI TMIC, flows better and not hot anymore But if your gonna be going for a really big turbo and heavy modding, I would hold off and get a FMIC. Just my 2 cents.
#5 Old 01-29-2008, 12:14 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
there are good gains from a good TMIC that flows better and cools better. They're not very cost effective though with just the little stocker feeding it but you might see 5-10whp as well as a little better spool. However, without a re-tune, it's going to be basically zero unless you live in death valley or something.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#6 Old 01-29-2008, 02:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

pjccjc2 is an unknown
Still nice in Brooksville/Spring Hill. Not much of the subie scene though.
#7 Old 01-29-2008, 07:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

Rob@CSS is an unknown
One of my customers just picked up 12whp and 25 wtq by upgrading to our TMIC and getting tuned. Thats is of course with a tbe and an accessport. He was tuned with the exhaust and AP then got retuned with the TMIC and picked up the gains mentioned above.Its not so much that the TMIC I sell is a "magic" hp adder it just allows more consistent cooling in addition to better flow which allows tuners to tune more aggressively and stay safe with the engine.
#8 Old 01-29-2008, 08:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

tom_noland is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to tom_noland Send a message via Yahoo to tom_noland
What's the address to your page Rob?
#9 Old 01-29-2008, 10:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Rob@CSS is an unknown
its CSS Performance Intercoolers thanks P.S. excuse the lack of products my web master is updating it for the 08 lineup and its not complete yet.
#10 Old 01-30-2008, 03:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

tom_noland is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to tom_noland Send a message via Yahoo to tom_noland
wow your TMIC is cheap.....how is it? If it's reliable the i will definately buy.
#11 Old 01-30-2008, 02:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Rob@CSS is an unknown
The TMIC is super reliable and that price is introductory. fastwrx.com will be retailing them for the actual retail price of 325.00. When that happens I will no longer be able to sell them under retail per the agreement I made with my retailers. I have about 65 of these out in the field now and never have received a single complaint. The internal fin density is what makes all the difference in the core design. Its 4 inches thick and about 20 wide. Still a direct bolt on though.
#12 Old 01-31-2008, 10:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

VanillaJuice is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to VanillaJuice
my 04 wrx went from 165whp to 209whp....all i did was put on the ssautochrome tmic and a magnaflow CATBACK and the spt intake...

Opensource tune by CAMTuning.com
Parts from Jeremy at Crucial Racing
#13 Old 01-31-2008, 10:41 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
^^ but with a reflash, right? Did you just dyno the car before the mods or did you just take the generic stock numbers? Because I've seen completley stock wrx's throw down 190 on a Mustang.
just curious.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing