Subaru WRX Forum banner

Stock catback and multiple questions...

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  mosc 
#1 ·
Wondering what a stock catback sounds like with an dp / up.

Trying to mod my wagon up, but cash is a little lacking lately, I dont want to shell out the money for a decent catback until I've done other mods (Unless it is ultimately important to get one before going on).
Planning on purchasing an Invidia up, Invidia high flow cat dp and a cobb accessport. Then Deatschwerks 565 cc injecters, walbro fuel pump, ebay tmic, and a VF-39.

How rough is the tuning via maps from cobbs?, After doing these upgrades I plan on getting it pro-tuned but I don't know any shops near me so I'll probably be ridin with the cobb maps for a while.

#2 ·
Well the problem you are gonna run into is that there aren't any cobb ap maps that are just with a DP and stock exhaust...its either stage 1, which is a stock car reflashed or stage 2 which is FULL turbo back exhaust. I've heard of people using a STi cat back with a aftermarket DP, dont know how its gonna sound though. If you are gonna spend any money I'de go with the AP first, then TBE. You didnt specify what year your car is so we dont know if its a 2.o liter or a 2.5 liter wrx. the 2.5's have boost spiking/creap problems...
Do you have a drop in filter or intake? I def recomend going with the ap first...especially if you dont have any tuners in your area. They have quite a few maps for the wrx's.

#3 ·
2004 WRX Wagon
I only have a drop in green filter

So I can count on the maps being a good enough tune to where I dont need to get some final tweaks done by a tuner? Unless of course I decide to add any mods that arent supported by cobb maps.

and on the note of local tuners, I see your nearby, you wouldn't happen to know of any good shops ?

#6 ·
You dont need a catback, just the DP for stage 2. The stock catback isnt too restrective unless you are looking for big power. Im running basically just a Cobb (catted DP) right now, lol, the CBE I had doesnt match but its still there till my Cobb CBE comes in. It sounds alrite, but like was said, even more power can be made from a tune over the (known) rich Cobb maps.

#13 ·
Was looking into these ones that are specifically made for use with the Cobb AP, Saw maps for these injectors and for the sti ones.
The Deatschwerks injectors seem like a better deal !Thumbs Up'

I'm thinking about getting Cobb's CBE or Stromung's dual tip, I don't like the look of exhausts with tips 4 in or bigger....

#14 ·
I see now that they've added maps for both pinks and those Deatschwerks injectors so yeah, you should be good either way. Just use the correct one. I guess they just came out with those maps recently, that wasn't always the case. Yay cobb!

I do take a little smirk of glee from this though that I knew enough to know that it was an issue and that cobb is backing me up by putting out two different maps accordingly ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.