Subaru WRX Forum banner

sti/wrx differences

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Overdrive23 
#1 ·
is there a list somewhere of what (besides the aesthetic) is makes an STi faster then the WRX? I know that there are some obvious parts; but i didn't know if there was a finite list somewhere or not.

thanks! !Thumbs Up

#4 ·
What the other guy said and Intercooler sprayer. Sodium filled valves, adjustable center diff, interior, side skirt, front and rear bumpers, Symetrical AWD, Catless uppipe, Aluminum control arms and I am sure there is another 25 things we have forgotten. The way the intake manifold works. It really is a completely different car. They share the same body and Chasis that is about it. Maybe same downpipe

#7 ·
knot04 said:
what is there to not like about the STI tranny??!?!?!!!!
um... its a subaru transmission....

all subaru trannys leave something to be desired.

dont get me wrong, its beter then the wrx tranny, but its nothing to gloat about.

defanitly dosent make my list of bad ass trannys.

yes, all subarus come with "symetrical all wheel drive"

i dont know whats symetrical about it, the power distrabution isent 50/50 in any of there cars.

#10 ·
yea the STi 6 speed is pretty stong, i don't like the gearing but that's another topic. And to say all subaru trannys suck isn't exactly right my friend. The JDM STi trannys are rated to 500ftlbs from the factory, so. . . .(and shorter gears to boot). (I believe it's 500 anyway, nonetheless it's up there, and they're damn near bulletproof)

The rex tranny isn't as bad as most make it out to be. Sure, it's not bulletproof, but what tranny on a 23K car is? Come on. I personally have increased the power of my car to over 50% of a stock car, for over 20K so far, and it still shifts and drives like the day i drove it off the lot (actually a little better with the RP syn gear oil). And i plan on keeping my stock tranny alive for 100K.

#11 ·
oh yea, the original posters question :)

like others have said, in short just about everything is different. It's a better platform to make big power, stonger engine, trans, stock the turbo is bigger, injectors and FP is bigger, brakes tires etc etc. If you're not looking to make big power (275WHP), i say mod the rex, if you're looking to make more than that, start with the STi.

#12 ·
maybe your taking my comment a little out of context. i dident say it was a bad tranny, i dont doubt it can handle 500 hp, i just noted, its not on my list of bad ass trannys. yeah, im sure people will never have tranny probs with there stock wrx. i would bet money that at some point in time, someone with a 500 hp sti will have tranny probs.

its not bad.... its not THE UBER SWEETNESS SENT BY GOD either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.