Subaru WRX Forum banner

sti uppipe on a stock wrx???

7K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  WRXMan 
#1 ·
okay, I know an aftermarket uppipe will void my warranty which i would like to stay away from. But will an STI uppipe void it since it is a subaru part? I just want a catless uppipe to up my boost. Is there any complications with the fitting of it and the difference in the size of the motors???

Thanks

#2 ·
It will work fine if you can get one. Subaru can't get them last time I checked (a few weeks ago). Even with the part # my local dealership had nothing in their computer.

As for warranty, I can't tell you for sure. Check with whatever dealer you get it from. However, I'd be willing to bet that a dealer won't sell you something that will remove a catalytic converter.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

#3 ·
Well I talked to the dealership and they said they didn't have a problem with it. I guess I was the 1st person to ever ask that question to them. As far as covering it, they didn't give me a definite answer but claimed it should be covered since it was made by subaru. So if they cover that part, anything that went wrong due to that part would be covered if I'm not mistaken.

#5 ·
The reason most people try and go with the Subaru catless uppipe is not because it's made my Subaru, it's because it looks exactly like the US's stock uppipe. Therefore the dealer cannot void your warranty, unless they took the uppipe off and found it to be the catless version. However, if you can get your Dealer to do the install AND warranty the work, I'd be very impressed.

Blue

#8 ·
kaoticsp said:
okay, I know an aftermarket uppipe will void my warranty which i would like to stay away from. But will an STI uppipe void it since it is a subaru part? I just want a catless uppipe to up my boost. Is there any complications with the fitting of it and the difference in the size of the motors???

Thanks
my dealership told me that you could put the catless sti uppipe on your wrx and it wouldnt viod the warranty because it was still a subaru part but i would ask to make sure because those things vary from dealership to dealership

#11 ·
define "prove"

Iceman and friends,,,

here's the prob with the the dealer having to "prove" an aftermarket part caused damage to your car...

they are the ones who get to decide (along with their Subaru of America Rep) if the damage was caused by an aftermarket part. And of course, its in their best interest to decide that a part you put on the car "could have" caused the damage done.

I can just hear the Rep or the head service guy arguing right now...

"well you put a catless uppipe on the car. That created more power and the stock ECU didn't know how to handle that difference... all the parts on these cars are here for good reason and are designed to work together. once you go removing some of them the car may no longer function correctly and could possibly have caused this damage to your tumble generator valve, so the answer is NO. this is not covered by your warranty. And besides, this pipe you put does not even have an EGT bung. So now the car is running without all its proper sensor feedback, which is even more likely to cause a problem with the tumble generator valve. Yeah, i realize this is a genuine Subaru part, but its a part intended for the STi, not the WRX. We wouldn't cover your warranty if you tried to put the WRX turbo in your Subaru Outback and blew up the engine trying, would we?"

irregardless if any of that jargon above has anything to do with any kind of damage to any WRX, that is all they have to say, and your warranty means squat... proving it? forget it... they don't have to go to trial and prove it beyond a reasonable doubt... they don't even have to prove it to you beyond a reasonable doubt... they just have to make up some B.S. about how this "might have" done that and you're screwed. If you are changing the uppipe on you car... and then later run into warranty issues, you best put the stock uppipe back in and make sure it doesn't look like any mods have been done... or just forget that warranty ever existed real soon, because when it comes to most REX dealers, they have no interest in dealing with WRX Tuners' cars under warranty.

my 2 cents.

#13 ·
Re: define "prove"

REXronald said:

If you are changing the uppipe on you car... and then later run into warranty issues, you best put the stock uppipe back in and make sure it doesn't look like any mods have been done... or just forget that warranty ever existed real soon, because when it comes to most REX dealers, they have no interest in dealing with WRX Tuners' cars under warranty.

exactly.

#14 ·
Iceman

NO

this did not happen to me thankfully... but it sure might have if i had run into problems while my car was under the warranty period... because the mods were extensive to the point i could not have really set it back to stock if needed. but i am full aware how the dealers work, and i am familiar with the plights of some WRX owners and some other modded car owners...

In my opinion, the service groups at dealerships are no better than the used carsalesman... bottom of the barrel, and don't give 2 sh_ts about you or your car.

again, just my 2 cents...

#15 ·
but if you get it in writing and get it signed and dated by the manager of the dealership if yo put the parts they say are ok to put on then they cannot void your warranty because its the same as a signed contract and if they did try to void your warranty still after that you could sue them for breach of contract

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.