sti turbo - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-13-2005, 09:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

subiedude05 is an unknown
sti turbo

how hard would it be to switch out a stock wrx turbo for a sti turbo. Also what else would I need for the turbo to function properly. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-14-2005, 01:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

Mark S. is an unknown
From my research, switching to a US STi turbo wont do much at all, i believe its an IHI VF39 turbo.

What I would reccomend doing is switching to an IHI VF34 Turbo, it is bolt-on and is the turbo from the Japanese STi, which still uses the 2.0L motor. It will make reliable power and spool up faster than your stock turbo now. Its also not very expensive, $699USD.

With a turbo swap, you will absolutely need a good form of engine management, the best probably being the Turbo XS UTEC. You will also need larger injectors (you can use STi injectors), also you will need a larger fuel pump to get the fuel to those bigger injectors.

I would also highly reccomend a larger top mounted intercooler, or front mounted intercooler. You would probably also want to switch the up-pipe for a catless one so there is no danger of sucking anything through your new turbo. If you do everything above plus a short ram intake and a turbo back exhaust, with a good tune, it is not unreasonable to shoot for around 280 WHP.

Mark
#3 Old 04-14-2005, 08:41 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
mark, in the setup you just described, is it possible to use a reflashed ECU?
#4 Old 04-14-2005, 11:25 AM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Yup. Or AccessPORT
#5 Old 04-14-2005, 01:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBAUCLAPlaya
Yup. Or AccessPORT
This may sound redundant, but I can control STi injectors and a higher flowing pump and just use AccessPort to do this?

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
#6 Old 04-14-2005, 01:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
To an extent. You send your ECU off, they reflash it, and you put it back in hoping it's right. It will run conservatively because every car is different. You won't get the most out of your car with a reflash like you would with a UTEC.

But, if you are putting a different turbo in your car, definately replace the uppipe while you are at it. You should replace the downpipe as well, but it's not absolutely necessary.
#7 Old 04-14-2005, 04:14 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Well with the AccessPORT they give you a generic map for the injectors and fuel pump that runs fine. I run the stage two map and love it, and I know several people round here running the stage 2.5 map (VF30/34, STi pinks and fuel pump) and they love it as well.
#8 Old 04-14-2005, 04:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
Cool, thanks man.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
#9 Old 04-14-2005, 05:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

dmitri is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S.
What I would reccomend doing is switching to an IHI VF34 Turbo, it is bolt-on and is the turbo from the Japanese STi, which still uses the 2.0L motor. It will make reliable power and spool up faster than your stock turbo now. Its also not very expensive, $699USD.
Spool up faster and make more power? How much of each? I'm sure the spool isn't much better (or same) if power increases.. You can only increase efficiency so far.
#10 Old 04-14-2005, 10:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

subiedude05 is an unknown
thanks guys for the help. I think I will be changing over to the jdm turbo this summer. I plan to also get a full turbo back exhaust made of parts from hks and turbo xs. Also I will get the turbo xs utec. once again thanks for the help.
#11 Old 04-15-2005, 02:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

Mark S. is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri
Spool up faster and make more power? How much of each? I'm sure the spool isn't much better (or same) if power increases.. You can only increase efficiency so far.

The VF34 uses a ball bearing design, the stock turbo does not, therefore it spins up faster - a few hundred RPM. I believe there are people on this forum getting 300 or more WHP out of the VF34 and full supporting mods with a wicked tune.

Mark
#12 Old 04-21-2005, 06:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

peteryho is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to peteryho Send a message via MSN to peteryho
The VF39 would do lots to a stock 2.0 WRX. Spool will not be as fast but it does flow more cfm 's.
#13 Old 04-21-2005, 07:23 PM

It definately won't do lots to a STOCK WRX. Nor a modded WRX. The VF39 is just simply not significantly bigger than the WRX turbo to justify purchasing one. At the least get a VF34, if not VF22 or FP18G.