sti tmic with cobb stage 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-03-2011, 09:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to rex2002 Send a message via Skype™ to rex2002
sti tmic with cobb stage 2

im running stage 2 on my car and wondering if i put the sti tmic on it will it be an issue. i just bought a sti top mount for $200 bucks(great shape no dents in the fins) and would like to put it on the car. but if its going to hurt me more than benefit me i wont put it on. im buying pieces at a time for my "build" and going to do all of it at one time but since the tmic is such an easy install just wondering if it would be ok to mount with stage 2.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-03-2011, 10:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
I can't think of any reason it would be an issue, be a bit more volume but probably not noticeable at all until you start trying to add boost/timing.
#3 Old 11-04-2011, 05:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
You won't see any gains from it. Cobb's maps allow an up-pipe and lightened crank pulley to be added without issue, per the map notes on the 02-05 WRX.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#4 Old 11-04-2011, 06:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Yea, gains from a better intercooler are seen via tuning because it will potentially allow you to run more timing/boost. Be are though that STI intercoolers are known for rubbing holes in the firewall AC line. So be careful and see if you can get as much space between the intercooler and that line.
#5 Old 11-04-2011, 10:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Any time to you make a change to the intake tract you need to retune if the map is not setup for it. The larger volume of the STI TMIC could cause you to run lean.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
#6 Old 11-04-2011, 10:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
The only thing it could possibly do from a tuning technical standpoint is slow boost by a microsecond because it is a larger volume intercooler, you might gain .0000001 hp because your intake charge cools by 20 deg or so, which is nothing. Your gains are going to be seen because you can safely add timing and boost without knocking. The intercoolers are post maf, so assuming your maf scaling is correct there shouldn't be any afr issues.
#7 Old 11-04-2011, 02:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You will be fine. I confirmed this P&L and Cobb. I've been running an STI top mount on my car for over 6 months. My logs look good, no knock at all.

The trick is getting enough air to it. I switched to an STI scoop and splitter. Not sure what options there are for the 02.

That's a great price. I think I have close to $400 into mine b/c I bought a new y-pipe and all new silicone connectors.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#8 Old 11-04-2011, 03:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
thanks for all the info. ive already got a sti hood scoop mounted,i just need to buy the sti splitter. hopefully i can find the splitter for pretty cheap and get it mounted.
#9 Old 11-04-2011, 03:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjott21 View Post
Any time to you make a change to the intake tract you need to retune if the map is not setup for it. The larger volume of the STI TMIC could cause you to run lean.
The 02-03 models run pig rich from the factory and also have a greater amount of give than newer models. That's why you can use a MBC with them, albeit not advised without tuning, because the factory tune is a bit more forgiving than the 04 and up.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#10 Old 11-04-2011, 03:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
That statement isn't true to begin with. An intercooler does not require a tune to use (but certainly would benefit) nor does changing the turbo inlet or intake manifold.
#11 Old 11-04-2011, 04:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
That statement isn't true to begin with. An intercooler does not require a tune to use (but certainly would benefit) nor does changing the turbo inlet or intake manifold.
Which statement?

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#12 Old 11-04-2011, 04:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

ok as far as the hood Splitter goes do i go with an oem 04-05 sti https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/p...roducts_id=740 or 06-07 https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/p...oducts_id=1008
#13 Old 11-04-2011, 04:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

Find one for an 02-03 since you drive an 02...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#14 Old 11-04-2011, 04:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Find one for an 02-03 since you drive an 02...
they didnt make sti style hood scoops/Splitter for the 02 as a factory option. im pretty sure the bolt pattern is the same or if not its made out of metal i can drill out some new holes to make it work. just wondering if anyone has done this job and what did they use. i was also told i can modify my stock 02 splitter to make the sti tmic work without any fitment issues
#15 Old 11-04-2011, 04:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

STi Air Splitters for STi Hood Scoops

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...