Sti Oem Parts On Wrx - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-15-2005, 06:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx27 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to wrx27
Question Sti Oem Parts On Wrx

Hey everyone,
I got some killer deals on some stock equipment from an STI. I got the bbs wheels with bridgestones already($1000 with only 4k miles on them in perfect condition), im pretty sure this is just a straight bolt-on affair? Moving foward i can a real cheap deal on the stock turbo and intercooler from a STI. my wrx is basically stock now. What mods would i need to make this work? and would this be recomended? l can get both for $800 with 10K on them. My freind is selling his OEM stuff, he has new stuff on his STI. i could have got seats and uppipe for $600 but im going to go with helix flex uppipe and some sparco torinos. Plus i hear the oem STI pipe is catless but leaks on reg. wrx. And the seats wouldnt look right in my opinion with the blue and all. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-15-2005, 10:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

My05WRX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to My05WRX
Um i wouldnt get the STI IC and turbo. You can get a VF34 and fuel system for about 1200 brand new, probably like 300 less used. Helix has a cheap TMIC right now for about 600. That would be a much better setup and the parts would be new.
#3 Old 03-16-2005, 12:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

T WREX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to T WREX Send a message via Yahoo to T WREX
Quote:
Originally Posted by My05WRX
Um i wouldnt get the STI IC and turbo. You can get a VF34 and fuel system for about 1200 brand new, probably like 300 less used. Helix has a cheap TMIC right now for about 600. That would be a much better setup and the parts would be new.
Do you have proof that the helix tmic and vf34 would be much better? Have you used either? $800 for a turbo and tmic is a decent deal. There are STIs with 300whp on the stock turbo and IC. You could come close to that with the 2.0. Also, if the turbo is off and you have a chance to check it, there's been a lot of people that have the P18 exhaust housing on their stock VF39 rather than the P17. This is the same exact housing as the VF34. It'd be stamped on the inside of the turbo. As for the helix TMIC being "much" better than the STI, I'd like to see some flow comparisons. Does anyone have core dimensions for both? I'm pretty sure they are close to the same size judging from the pictures I've seen. Helix has a pretty good rep, but I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for.

FP Green'd 04 STi

Trevor
#4 Old 03-16-2005, 07:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
What year STi? The 05 STi has a different bolt pattern than the 04 and the standard WRX. So, if it's an 05 the wheels won't fit.

As for the turbo/IC, well, the STi IC isn't much bigger than the stock WRX one. The STi turbo is a VF39, which is smaller than a VF30/34. The extra .5L of displacement is where the STi makes a lot of its power. You should remember that the STi also has larger injectors and variable valve timing. You would need to increase your fuel and possibly timing if you were to run that turbo.

But, $800 isn't that bad of a deal. That's around the going rate for them.
#5 Old 03-16-2005, 11:22 AM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
I say get the wheels if they are from an 04 and then save up for a different turbo and IC for the same reasons Cosmo said.
#6 Old 03-16-2005, 09:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx27 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to wrx27
Got the wheels already, they are form an '04. Thanks for everyones input. Im thinking maybe about just gfetting the ic. $300 aint bad. The turbo was $500. i'd be willing to do a little work with injectors, eg. mgmt. if needed. Im still not sure what to do?
#7 Old 03-17-2005, 07:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Considering a VF34 or VF22 is not much more than what he wants to sell you that turbo for, I'd pass on it.
#8 Old 03-17-2005, 11:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

T WREX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to T WREX Send a message via Yahoo to T WREX
Offer $300!

FP Green'd 04 STi

Trevor