STI intercoolers? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM

STI intercoolers? Just thinking about mods for the future, I am a man who likes to think ahead (dont even have a WRX yet).

Is this a mod that I should be looking at or just dismiss. The whole thing comes down to the fact that I dont know if I want to take out any of the cats.

What does that have to do with a better intercooler? Well, I know a larger IC wont do anything for you if you are still running stock boost, and to really get better boost you need a larger turbo. A larger turbo will not give you much of any gains if you dont have a good exhaust, and that brings us back to the cats.

What about turboXs stage 1 kit? Will the unichip change the boost in a way that will make a bigger intercooler useful?

Or does it all come down to this, only think about an STI intercooler if you are doing mods on almost everything.

If anyone answers this I thank you for enduring my insanity.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Darkstar is an unknown
OH nuts, I forgot to login. Sorry that was me.

#3 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM

Gerlando is an unknown
Well, I'm no expert, but from what I've been reading you only really need a larger intercooler if you're running a bigger turbo. The stock turbo can't efficiantly run very much boost over stock anyway and a larger intercooler wouldn't change that.
#4 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

elgorey is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to elgorey
the purpose of an intercooler is to cool the temperature of the intake charge. Cooler air is denser, and holds more oxygen. Usually an intercooler is upgraded to lower EGTs and increase the efficiency of the turbo. (and hence allowing more boost) A larger intercooler on a stock setup wont do much, although boost may run a little bit higher and EGTs might be a little lower.

#5 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Darkstar is an unknown
Thank you both for replying. I guess I just needed someone to pull me back a little. Cross that off the list until I go for a larger turbo kit and a good exhaust.