Subaru WRX Forum banner

Starting the car for first time after changing the turbo

21K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  clord05wrx 
#1 ·
Ok so I'm doing the turbo this morning, here is my question. Since I will be disconnecting the oil and coolant lines is there anything speacial I need to do before I start the car for the first time with the new turbo?? Or can I just start it up and drive?? Thanks in advance!!!

#2 ·
After a brief search, most people seem to recommend cranking the engine several times without starting it to prime the new turbo with oil and then starting the car and letting it idle for several minutes while checking for leaks. After that, drive it nicely for several hundred miles and then it should be good to go. I've also read that it's recommended to do an oil change to a non-synthetic oil for the break-in period, but then others said that turbos come already tested and broken in from the companies who make them. Still other people bolt them on, start their cars immediately, and hit full boost right away. Personally, for all the money that it costs, I think I'd be slightly more cautious and take it slow for a bit.

#4 ·
http://www.scoobymods.com/turbo_install_swap_pictures-t7641.html?

Turbo FAQ: Read if you are thinking of upgrading! - NASIOC
Prior to/during turbo installation:
Pre-oil turbo
Prior to removal of any bolts, spray with a penetrant such as PB Blaster and allow to soak for 5-15 minutes
Uppipe to turbo and turbo to downpipe bolt torque spec is 26-30 ft. lbs.

After turbo installation:
Crank engine for 20 seconds to lubricate turbo (by pulling the 'IGN' fuse)
Let idle for about 30 minutes
Check for leaks and fluid levels several times
Break turbo in for a couple hundred miles (for new turbos)
Change oil after break-in (for new turbos)
Blouch Turbo Inc. - Information on our performance turbo products

#5 ·
If you disconnect the oil and coolant lines please dont forget to refill your radiator and check your engine oil level to see if it's still good. They will drain all the coolant and your car will overheat if you dont put more fluid in there.

Please dont forget to tune afterwards. Dont just get in there and take it for a spin. Make sure you have a tuner close by and stay out of boost or get a limp tune until you can get a custom tune.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. All get positve rep! The turbo got primed before it started and I have a limp tune for now but will be getting a new custom tune shortly. Thanks again!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.