Stage II questions - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-03-2006, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

awd>fwd is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to awd>fwd
Stage II questions

Well I am thinking about getting a turbo back exhaust. I know that 3" pipe is what you want. I was looking at a few different exhaust, helix turbo-back being one. I know at least someone has tryed that eBay turbo-back that everyone sells. I think they call it an N-1 and it is around 300 bucks for so. Some of the sellers even include an up-pipe in the deal (which I would turn around and sell). My question is what is the main difference here, this is a bellmouth downpipe and everything, so it looks like it good quality. I think it was biggsean that had this setup maybe. Do you have a sound clip of this exhaust? Also with a turbo-back you are going to throw a CEL right. A Cobb AP will take away the CEL right? Also I have heard bad things about the Cobb's maps that come on it or something? Someone straighten me out of a few things, I'm not a super-noob but I have a lot to learn!

Brent
2007 Satin White STi, 1989 Nissan Sil-Coupe, 1998 Toyota 4runner (to be built..)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-03-2006, 10:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

ManicsWrX is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to ManicsWrX
A cell will occur and some bucking at acceleration above 65 or higher at times. Cobb AP fixed my issue with the CEL and the bucking. As far as Cob with there maps I do not know I only had a stage 2 COB map on there for less than 12 hours before I got the pro tune. Seemed to run a little better though. As you know no up pipe needed so go ahead and sell that !Laugh! 3" for sure, i know a few ppl that got it off ebay and were happy with it. Just make sure all welds are nice and the exhaust hangs/fits well/ Be careful on which pipe you use for downpipe, I have a flex pipe on mine " Where as some do not " has a mesh material in the bend for flexibility. Pretty much anything is better than stock. You going no cats or keeping them?

I went with no cats

Chris- ▼SbiΣ Mi▼
242 AWHP / 318 TQ
post #3 of 11 Old 01-03-2006, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

awd>fwd is an unknown
No cats

Washington's emissions are really lax, if you don't throw a code you're golden.

Brent
2007 Satin White STi, 1989 Nissan Sil-Coupe, 1998 Toyota 4runner (to be built..)...
post #4 of 11 Old 01-03-2006, 10:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

ManicsWrX is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to ManicsWrX
Nice I just seen some kid put up a used exhaust off a STI. Its 700$ a bit pricey for a used one if you ask me. I think i paid 900 Installed. Not bad for labor and all. Invidia is the kind I got

Chris- ▼SbiΣ Mi▼
242 AWHP / 318 TQ
post #5 of 11 Old 01-03-2006, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

awd>fwd is an unknown
Yeah yours sounds nice, I'm just trying not to break the bank. I might be able to get a discount at a local performance shop because my buddy might get a job there, he already works there, just doesnt get paid. I have been there a few times it's pretty nice and they let me in the backdoor.

Brent
post #6 of 11 Old 01-03-2006, 12:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ronnzi is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Ronnzi
If you're trying to go cheap, I would definitely recommend Helix. Nice exhausts with low prices - GruppeS.com would be a good place to look.

Beyond that, as long as you know the brand, Ebay is a good place to look. You're not going to be changing your exhaust system very often so just keep that in mind - it might be smarter to save up a little and wait and get something you're going to be happy with than to throw your money into something you're only going to change later down the road.

You have a beautiful 06' WRX - are you really going to treat a shiny new car to a *#$#% nameless set of pipes? I wouldn't but that's just me.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-03-2006, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

awd>fwd is an unknown
Most likely I will go helix, but I wanted to hear from a few people. I cant decide wether I want to buy a new wheeling truck or go stage 2. Hmm....

Brent
post #8 of 11 Old 01-03-2006, 08:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Bigdogc is an unknown
hey guys, im having the same trouble. what exhaust to get? are there any that bolt directly on? i want to be able to change out my stock exhaust and my performance exhaust when i go to dealership incase they void my transaction.

manics, are you producing 308 torque at the wheels? your numbers are very impressive.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-03-2006, 11:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

wingless is an unknown
I did a Cobb TBE at the same time as my AP and have never thrown a CEL, bolted up perfectly and sounds great. One small cat in the DP, other two are gone. Know I'm leaving some on the table not having a pro tune, but I'm still happy
post #10 of 11 Old 01-04-2006, 04:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fourdoor is an unknown
No real problems with the Cobb base maps, they are very "generic" though in order to work on every car. The car will have to "learn" for quite a while after you put in the AccessPort before you get the most out of it, and even then it is not as good as a map customized to your car with your setup. Still a hell of a lot better than stock though

Keith

WRX at 218 WHP (dynapack, aprx 275 BHP) and EVO at 375 WHP (Mustang dyno, aprx 510 BHP) on pump gas.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-12-2006, 12:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

stewy612 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicsWrX
Nice I just seen some kid put up a used exhaust off a STI. Its 700$ a bit pricey for a used one if you ask me. I think i paid 900 Installed. Not bad for labor and all. Invidia is the kind I got
lol why the hell did you pay 200 bucks to get an exhaust installed? lol its like the easiest mod out there

anyways, i wouldn't go with ebay piping if it were me, it doesn't weld well if you decide to change something or maybe weld in a resonator, and a bellmouth DP is a must in my opinion

besides if you get a good bellmouth you get a really nice turbo sound as the waste gate flutters

-Stewy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement